Black Hills 77gr ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anyone shot the black hills 77gr BTHP 5.56? How did you like it if so?
Yes, it has been probably the most precise factory 5.56 load. Defensive use is excellent when a barrier blind round isn’t needed. What do you plan on using it for? Anything particular you were wondering?

Rugerscout80

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not really anything particular. Just picked some up awhile back. Haven't shot it yet. Was curious what people thought of it before I gathered my thoughts on it as well.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It shot well for me, but the juice wasn't worth the squeeze price wise. I ended up making my own with a Berger 77 grain OTM that groups better and much cheaper.

If I wanted close to the best heavy bullet factory ammo I could, it's what I'd have loaded.

Last edited:

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone shot the black hills 77gr BTHP 5.56? How did you like it if so?
Lots. It's the civilian version of MK262. BH was the only manufacturer of MK262 for the longest but LC pumps it out...I don't think it's as good. It good for SD and for LR shooting...if your barrel's gtg. Both BH and LC use proprietary powder blends to get the speed of the 77gr SMK that make MK262 what it is.

People try to replicate it but it's really difficult to get the speeds of MK262 without the pressure and accuracy issues everyone talks about so they always reduce their charges, and so, don't have the same effects that you have with real 262. I believe @KurtM has a powder that will get the projo to 2750 FPS without massive pressure problems...I have to go search that out.

I like IMI Razor core 77 grain. I am not shooting for long range match. I shoot live nuisance targets and it usually ruins the target.
IMI 77gr is probably the closest you can get to BH. It's their version of MK262 and it shoots really well. I have a bunch I need to get data on now that I think of it.

Last edited:

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been shooting Berger 77 OTM’s I’m getting great results. they are pricey but worth the money. Save the brass and reload. Laupa brass is not cheap. Im also getting great results with federal match 69. I will be reloading as soon as I get back to the house to do so. Both the bolt rifle and gas rifle love the federal match 69’s.

Latest posts

Top Bottom