Black Powder Help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ontimeontarget

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have recently inherited Traditions model Deer hunter .50 CAL,
and I am getting ready to take it with me this coming deer season,
can I use the Hodgdon triple7 pellets a long with Thompson/Center
Shock Wave Sabots 200 Gr. rounds?

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes but you may only be able to load two pellets or (100gr) of powder.

Just clearifying, is this a traditional slyle percussion or an inline?

Hooker

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I shoot 80gr loads behind a saboted 255gr Keith type bullets in my Knight. It will penetrate a completely through a deer length wise at 175 yards. It will also put 3 rounds into the prettiest little clover you ever saw. Don't just grab a load out of thin air start at 70grs and work your way up max loader rarely produce the best accuracy.

Pat

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shoot 80gr loads behind a saboted 255gr Keith type bullets in my Knight. It will penetrate a completely through a deer length wise at 175 yards. It will also put 3 rounds into the prettiest little clover you ever saw. Don't just grab a load out of thin air start at 70grs and work your way up max loader rarely produce the best accuracy.

Pat

I agree. Before I put the Nikon Omega scope on, I always used 100gr pyrodex and have taken deer out to 225 yards. Last year I put this scope on and it says that it is accurate for a 215 bullet with 150gr of powder. I shoot consistently with both loads but I don't miss the "low" recoil either.

I have killed more deer with a black powder gun than anything else. I really enjoy it. Hope you get your's lined out.

Hooker

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've never tried pellets in one of my traditional rifles. I did try it in my inline, but loose powder allows better fine tuning of loads.

Pat

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just clearifying, is this a traditional slyle percussion or an inline?

Yes it is a traditional. Not an inline..

I have never personally used pellets in a percussion style bp rifle, all though I'm sure you can, but the way the powder sits next to the cap it might be better to use regular powder, maybe it will ignite easier.

Latest posts

Top Bottom