Blackhawk paddle holster?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longshot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry a glock 23 or glock 35 owb either in a fobus paddle holster or galco leather holster. I like the ease and comfort of the fobus but don't care much for the retention.Ive been looking at black hawk SERPA holsters and was wondering if anyone uses one for a daily carry setup.I usually pull my shirt over the firearm and I don't think anyone notices is the SERPA concealable?

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry a glock 23 or glock 35 owb either in a fobus paddle holster or galco leather holster. I like the ease and comfort of the fobus but don't care much for the retention.Ive been looking at black hawk SERPA holsters and was wondering if anyone uses one for a daily carry setup.I usually pull my shirt over the firearm and I don't think anyone notices is the SERPA concealable?
I have one for my P220 and while it actually fit the gun out of the box better than almost any other I've tried, it's not quite as concealable as my Bianchi 82 CarryLok (leather pancake). The Bianchi holds the gun in much closer to my side, and the auto retention mechanism on it is comparable as well.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a SERPA for my Beretta 92. With almost all my shirts, the barrel hangs below the shirt line. It's hard to conceal with anything but a jacket, but since open carry passed, I don't really care, and just half-ass conceal it. It'd probably be better with a smaller/lighter pistol.

I love the retention mechanism, it's really instinctual, and puts my finger right where it needs to be on the draw.

I hate the paddle though. It's the only paddle I've used though, so maybe I just hate paddles. Luckily it comes with the paddle and belt loop attachment, so I just run with the loop.

Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I too love my serpa, but its more of a range holster. Their break/failure rate is high. The Bianchi carrylok is my favorite cc hybrid. My galco canted pancake is my everyday G17 cc

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to use SERPAs exclusively until I discovered the Safariland ALS series of holsters. I think mine is the 6378.

I'm with you sir. I love my Safariland ALS holster's. I have one for every pistol I own. I haven't heard of any failing like the Serpa's and like the engage/disengage mechanism better. I wear it OWB in the winter with a jacket. I prefer my cleveland holster to conceal carry with a shirt.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Sorry guys, but I love leather. Plastic's ok for shooting matches and stuff, but leather is wear its at for me. I have a Milt Sparks VMII for strongside carry, and a Galco SM159 speedmaster for my bug.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I prefer leather for any kind of use other than concealed or especially open carry where retention is extremely important. A standard leather holster is easily defeated by pretty much anyone with a hand and a willingness to steal. A quick bump in a crowd and thirty minutes later you realize your wallet and your gun are gone. That's not being ridiculous either, I've seen it happen in Mexico where they work in teams. One guy was assigned to bump my mom and get her wallet out of her purse while another knocked over the baby carriage to create the confusion (the baby was fortunately not in the carriage but they didn't know that). They got everything in a matter of seconds. An experienced thief could easily snatch a gun from a standard leather holster before the owner could even react.

Carrying in public brings with it an extra level of danger from theft so my choices are all plastic holsters with retention devices. My Beretta 92A1 has a couple Serpa holsters that work pretty well but for my M&P40 I bought a 5.11 "Thumb drive" holster and I'm loving this one. At the time I bought mine they didn't have any for Glocks but as soon as they do I'm getting one for my G21. As for concealability, it probably wouldn't be that good but with open carry I'm not that concerned.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I know I mentioned I like leather, but I've got plastic too. To the OP's basic question of using a holster with a paddle. I've tried several, and none feel safe enough to me. So when I get a Serpa for any of my guns, the paddle goes right in trash.

Latest posts

Top Bottom