Blade length for carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've noticed that a lot of folding knives have a blade less than 4". I was looking at state law and didn't find any restrictions on length, just the restrictions on daggers and switchblades.

Are there any laws with specific blade length restrictions?

Edit: I found an Okc ordinance 30-307 that restricts blade length in Okc to 4". It makes reference to State law 21-166 which doesn't exist.

Anyone got anything else?

Last edited:

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Local laws vary, and many municipalities do not publish their laws online, and some won't even provide them to you on request unless you can cite a specific ordinance number that you want to see.

pritch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Local laws vary, and many municipalities do not publish their laws online, and some won't even provide them to you on request unless you can cite a specific ordinance number that you want to see.

Really? If they are going to play "hide the ball" like that, ignorance of the law may indeed, be a defense! :madbox:

CODE_3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've noticed that a lot of folding knives have a blade less than 4". I was looking at state law and didn't find any restrictions on length, just the restrictions on daggers and switchblades.

Are there any laws with specific blade length restrictions?

Edit: I found an Okc ordinance 30-307 that restricts blade length in Okc to 4". It makes reference to State law 21-166 which doesn't exist.

Anyone got anything else?

I have never found anything in state law about blade length. Can you provide a link to the city ordinance?

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Copied and pasted from the Okc.gov website.

§ 30-307. - Sale of switchblade knife or knife with long blade.
No person shall offer for sale or exhibit for sale any knife commonly called a switchblade knife or spring-blade knife or any other pocket knife having a blade longer than four inches.

(Code 1970, § 21-166; Code 1980, § 30-252; Ord. No. 23693, § 1, 9-23-08)

CODE_3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Copied and pasted from the Okc.gov website.

§ 30-307. - Sale of switchblade knife or knife with long blade.
No person shall offer for sale or exhibit for sale any knife commonly called a switchblade knife or spring-blade knife or any other pocket knife having a blade longer than four inches.

(Code 1970, § 21-166; Code 1980, § 30-252; Ord. No. 23693, § 1, 9-23-08)

Thank you, Sir!

Dale Atkerson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I like a knife, I stick it in my pocket or strap it on my belt and away we go. If it's in in your pocket they won't see it, unless you are searched or ask to empty your pockets. I wear a cross draw knife in kydex, every day and every where. I have even had police officer stop me to ask about it. It does make good advertisement. I have about 10 or so knifes owned by law enforcement. I think it all comes down to the perception you give and the manner in which it is approached. If you have contact with an officer, declare you have a knife that could be considered a weapon. Just like you do, with a concealed carry. Usually they will not push any issues.

Latest posts

Top Bottom