Bolt Action Single-Shot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What benefit would you have in re-chambering a .22 LR rifle to .22 Mag?

Wouldn't it be better just to buy a .22 Mag rifle in the first place?

like I said my friend,,,
I'm not ragging,,,
Just asking.

Aarond

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the 22 magnum, I have always gotten my best accuracy from a rechambered 22 long rifle. The biggest reason seems to be in the "throating" of these rifles...

Most factories don't even cut a "throat" in the nchamber, but more of a forcing cone and that seems detrimental to absolute best possible accuracy...

By starting with a smaller chamber like the 22 lr., a completely new chamber can be cut and with a proper throat and lead angle...

According to the people that I spoken with at CCI, Winchester and Federal, Both the 22 lr. and the 22 magnum operate at the same pressure levels and there is no drastic pressure increase by the .001 (one-thousandths) smaller bore diameter of the 22 lr. when rechambered to the 22 magnum...

Even guns like the N.E.F. single shot in 22 lr., show a dramatic increase in accuracy when rechambered to the 22 magnum...

Please understand that I am not trying to start an argument here, but just showing my own personal findings over the last 30 years....

D&T

Latest posts

Top Bottom