Boneyard at Davis-Monthan AFB, Tucson AZ.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Every now and again, they pull something back out and press it into service. Earlier this week, I was reading about NASA's WB-57's at https://jsc-aircraft-ops.jsc.nasa.gov/wb57/history.html (NASA has the only three flyable examples in the world); one of those aircraft, NASA 927, sat at the boneyard for more than 41 years, which is a record for time-in-storage before reactivation.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just from the aerial view it is hard to tell, but it almost looks like a lot of P51s in one area. At least some aircraft with the same basic look to them. Might be trainers of some type.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This place is on the old man's bucket list ... sigh ... this and the missile silo somewhere that you can spend the night in if you want. I'll be back at the hotel lounge enjoying a cold one ... not my cup of tea ...

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lot of old Air Force planes mothballed/canabalized there.
Not just USAF planes are there--There are also Navy, Marine Corps and Army planes there. I'm sure that all the EA-6Bs I've worked on that didn't crash are there, as well as the TA-4Js from my time at VT-21 in NAS Kingsville, TX. They might even have the C-9Bs that were used to transport my squadrons to and from the ships before and after cruises put up there.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just from the aerial view it is hard to tell, but it almost looks like a lot of P51s in one area. At least some aircraft with the same basic look to them. Might be trainers of some type.
I believe you are referring to these:
t34b.png

They are T34c turboprop trainers that were used by both the USAF and Navy. They have been supplanted by the T-6 Texan II for both services.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not just USAF planes are there--There are also Navy, Marine Corps and Army planes there. I'm sure that all the EA-6Bs I've worked on that didn't crash are there, as well as the TA-4Js from my time at VT-21 in NAS Kingsville, TX. They might even have the C-9Bs that were used to transport my squadrons to and from the ships before and after cruises put up there.

Wow, making me have flashbacks! I worked on the C-9B's at Lockheed in South Carolina in the early 1990's. Worked on the A's and C's also when we were between planes, even got to do a little on the Presidential C-9's when they were there. I got to fart on the $60,000 leather seat before Hillary did!

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can anyone tell what the plane is where Yuma St. intersects S. Kolb Rd., go north on S. Kolb Rd. to the first intersection, the plane is off to the right on the intersecting road. The plane is all wing and a very short fuselage. It looks like it is just above and to the right of the T34c turboprop trainers that OKNewshawk posted. There are a couple more of them just to the right of the intersection of S. Kolb Rd. and E. Irving Rd. also.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom