Bonhomme Richard burning in SD...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Not good. Apparently started around 845 this morning by a welder in the hanger bay. Appears to have spread to fuel storage. Prayers for all involved.

Apparently, they have evacuated the crew. That to me seems to be a extremely bad call. If there is no one aboard, the plan would be to let it burn? I hope that's not the case.

Last edited:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No life is worth fighting a fuel fire of that magnitude in an enclosed space, good call. No idea how fire suppression systems work on a ship like that, obviously setup in a manner that wasn't useful in this case.
I would imagine that she has excellent firefighting/damage control systems, but they probably rely heavily on having a trained crew aboard, not just a bunch of shipbuilders.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would imagine that she has excellent firefighting/damage control systems, but they probably rely heavily on having a trained crew aboard, not just a bunch of shipbuilders.
That makes sense. I was thinking when I saw this. " I thought all Navy ships had some serious fire training." If they didn't have a real crew but builders or maint folks on there. It makes sense that didn't have the crew to fight it.

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That makes sense. I was thinking when I saw this. " I thought all Navy ships had some serious fire training." If they didn't have a real crew but builders or maint folks on there. It makes sense that didn't have the crew to fight it.

There's always some crew onboard depending on the level of maintenance they are in. When fire is called out, the repair lockers are manned and a hose team will respond, though it won't be the same guys as it would if the ship were underway.
Most likely this fire was started by a contractor who delayed reporting for fear of losing his job.

It's a weird/scary thing when GQ is sounded while in port.

Latest posts

Top Bottom