Bow suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't know where to put this so if it is wrong mods just move it please.

My wife and I love to shoot but living in town and having a 2 year old going to the range or sitting out back isn't very often an option. We want to get into bow shooting so we can just play in the backyard but truly have no idea where to start. I know we want to do compound bows and of course we cant just get one to share and try out as I am left handed and she is wrong handed.

What do you guys suggest without breaking the bank. I am probably thinking $300 each total will be the max I can talk her out of and that means that I will need to equip that bow for that $300 too. I don't want total junk either. I'm not sure that what I am asking for is even possible but it never hurts to ask.

Thanks, Terrell

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some people may think this is risky, but if you can get someone to check out a used bow and make sure it's okay, I'd suggest getting a used bow. They are so much cheaper.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Deer season is over, scour craigslst. They will be all over it. I didn't know a thing about bows or even how to shoot one before I found here on OSA. Spent like 100-150 bucks on it and love it. I know I want to upgrade eventually now that I know more but its worth trying a used one. You should ask a moderator to move this to the hunting section. Lot of knowledgeable guys hang out in there. AllOut really knows his stuff (or does a good job BS'n his way through bows HAHA)

Double_tap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try archerytalk.com, there is a lot of information there as well a classifieds section with a feedback system so you can see who you are buying from. I picked up my Elite on there and had it shipped from out of state for a smoking price.

vooduchikn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try archerytalk.com, there is a lot of information there as well a classifieds section with a feedback system so you can see who you are buying from. I picked up my Elite on there and had it shipped from out of state for a smoking price.

Left handed? Right Handed? Cross eye dominant?

I would start by knowing your drawlength. You measure it yourself or have a bowshop do it, I recommend the latter.

This way you don't purchase a bow off craigslist or archery talk that needs a drawlength module changeout, or a CAM swap.

If you are looking for a good overall bow that is adjustable on both poundage and draw length I recommend a Mission by Mathews. I got one for my 13 year old several years ago and it has adjusted to her growth and strength. It is of very good quality and is easy to adjust (no bow press required).

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Figure out if your left or right handed first. Check out PSE, you can get ready to shoot (RTS) packages for right around the $3oo range. PSE makes a damn good bow with a solid history. Sure you can find better but in your range PSE would be my choice. I currently shoot a older PSE Deer Hunter with a 27" draw. Thats another thing you need to figure out as well is your proper draw length.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bows are different guys, you don't shoot a bow to your hand dominance, you shoot to your eye dominance. How ever you can do it backwards but is not a good idea.
For beginners.... Find a good Mission Craze or Diamond Razors Edge. Both are really adjustable and shoot very well for a starter bow.
Before you buy anything, go to a proshop.... Have them measure you for your draw length. Draw a few bows in your length to make sure that's what fits, plus you can play with different weights to see what your comfortable with. What u have to look out for is not all bows are the same length as far as DL goes. For instance a Hoyt 28". Draw usually measure right around 28", Mathews bows are usually 1/2" or so long for their DL.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Deer season is over, scour craigslst. They will be all over it. I didn't know a thing about bows or even how to shoot one before I found here on OSA. Spent like 100-150 bucks on it and love it. I know I want to upgrade eventually now that I know more but its worth trying a used one. You should ask a moderator to move this to the hunting section. Lot of knowledgeable guys hang out in there. AllOut really knows his stuff (or does a good job BS'n his way through bows HAHA)

Hey, this is the Internet..... I'm allowed to BS LOL

Latest posts

Top Bottom