Brass Tumbler Media Homebrew

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did some reading a while back about Brasso and one side says it weakens the brass and should never be used, the other side says yeah but you'd have to use a lot of it very frequently for it to make any difference. I switched to Nufishish based on it does just as good a job, is cheaper, and eliminates any concern about chemical harm to the brass.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did some reading a while back about Brasso and one side says it weakens the brass and should never be used, the other side says yeah but you'd have to use a lot of it very frequently for it to make any difference. I switched to Nufishish based on it does just as good a job, is cheaper, and eliminates any concern about chemical harm to the brass.

+1. Exact same scenario here.

Jcelt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I appreciate you mentioning that. I have heard that and you’re right, there are two schools of thought on Brasso. You make a good point on Nufinish so it may be a good time to make the switch.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've used any number of liquid car waxes over the years with basically the same results and fired the same brass many, many times. Depended what was on sale at the time. Newfinish worked great and it was cheap. I think that's why most use it.
Never tried brasso on gun brass and probably never will after reading ^^^^.
I hate the smell of that stuff after so many years of hand buffing brass epaulettes, etc.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use crushed walnut from the pet store. I put a cap full of NuFinish in each time I replace the media, letting the tumbler run a while without brass so the wax gets evenly distributed.

The best tip that I have picked up in regard to vibratory tumblers is to use a fabric softener sheet. Grab a used fabric softener sheet from the dryer and cut in into four or five strips. Throw the strips in the tumbler with your brass. They will collect a lot of the loose carbon and fine debris that you would otherwise have to wipe from the brass after tumbling.

Latest posts

Top Bottom