How to reverse brass dezincification with no tumbler

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CroatGoat

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So i was cleaning brass in my sonic cleaner, and it came out pinkish. Found out i used too much vinegar and stripped the zinc from the surface. What is a good homemade chemical solution i can do to restore the luster? I do not have a tumbler no interest in getting one. Any ideas?

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Zinc is a key component of brass cartridge alloy. If you have attacked the zinc in the alloy you have weakened that brass and for safety reasons you best course of action is dump that brass and start over.

Pyrodex fouling also has a component that attacks zinc in brass if not properly cleaned. I failed to clean 100 rounds of 45/70 brass and stored it for a year. I had 100% failure of those cases, just sitting.

Zinc give cartridge brass strength.

CroatGoat

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Zinc is a key component of brass cartridge alloy. If you have attacked the zinc in the alloy you have weakened that brass and for safety reasons you best course of action is dump that brass and start over.

Pyrodex fouling also has a component that attacks zinc in brass if not properly cleaned. I failed to clean 100 rounds of 45/70 brass and stored it for a year. I had 100% failure of those cases, just sitting.

Zinc give cartridge brass strength.
Yes, but i scrubbed the cases with some brasso and that shined them back up. Im just wondering if theres some way i can soak them so i get the interior, too, and so im not scrubbing each case. The zinc is only gone from the surface, not the whole case.

glassparman

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2 parts Distilled white vinegar and 1 part Hydrogen Peroxide. An old jewelers trick.

I have used this on vintage brass stripper clips that turned copper color from too long in the wet tumbler. Just swish them around for a while and watch the brass color come back.

Or just use them as is. A little missing zinc won't hurt much but the more you mess with chemicals and such, I think the more you will weaken the brass.

Latest posts

Top Bottom