BREAKING: US Army orders 24,000 M4 Carbines with Remington

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You'd think that the M4 replacement would be considered by now, guess not.

The Army's Improved Carbine Competition is still underway (even though many think the final choice will be the enhanced M4 from the concurrently running M4 improvement project)...but in the meantime our guys still need rifles.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Colt over Remington! With Remington having so many quality control issues over the years with their civilian rifles.. especially with their trigger safeties... I just don't trust their quality like I would a Colt or a S&W.

Sources?
I haven't heard anything besides from CNBC's pile of journalistic crap.
It turns out the guns only fired "accidently" after the users worked on the triggers or horrible maintenance.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You think they will be better than the Colt's?

As long as they follow the TDP (they have to use Colt's TDP per the contract) and the inspectors do their job, it really won't matter who the final manufacturer is....

This isn't the first time Colt has lost a piece of a .gov rifle contract.

The which one is better topic is pretty subjective. Especially, when you consider that Remington will have to follow Colt's TDP as SMS pointed out.

Does Colt produce 100% of the parts that go into their assembled rifles? I would assume that this isn't the case.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sources?
I haven't heard anything besides from CNBC's pile of journalistic crap.
It turns out the guns only fired "accidently" after the users worked on the triggers or horrible maintenance.

Just check the web for yourself... Remington has been fighting law suits for 30+ years on safety issues about their rifle safeties. Heck there was a hour long show on not long ago with one of their former designers telling about how he had designed a fix, but the company nixed it due to cost.. which at the time would have been well under $1 per weapon.. but would have cost the company millions because of the number of weapons involved. The program I saw showed diagrams and various demonstrations of the safety failures on different models of Remington rifles.. and maintenance / trigger adjustments by the owners was not the issue... it was a design flaw... admitted by a designer.

Go onto some of the forums discussing this and you will find many people talking about having safety issues where their weapon fired when the safety is switched off.

Last edited:

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Colt over Remington! With Remington having so many quality control issues over the years with their civilian rifles.. especially with their trigger safeties... I just don't trust their quality like I would a Colt or a S&W.

I wonder if the S&W M&P 15 was ever in consideration? The military Colt model is certainly a good weapon... I've shot them over the years and I've handled the Remington civilian model, but personally I like the build & quality of my S&W M&P 15 better... just seems more durable and the finish more scratch / rust resistant. Just looks and feels like a more durable weapon. I looked at all 3 civilian models and could have afforded any one of them.. but the mid-range priced S&W just seemed to be a better weapon over all to me.

I get the feeling that the cash strapped Defense Department went with the Remington model strictly due to the cheap price..... not due to long-term dependability over the Colt model. For military purposes and heavy use, I think the Remington will have durability problems.

Yeah, I wouldn't own one with a Remington logo.

I thought Remington was French for "Walmart Junk"??!?

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cerberus/Freedom Group owns Bushmaster. Bushmaster is one of the few companies that had a .gov contract to produce M4 type rifles for the military until Colt said they would sue the US Government. Bushmaster M4 Carbine: http://www.cybershooters.org/dgca/bushmaster_m4.htm

Cerberus/Freedom Group owns:
1. Remington
2. Bushmaster
3. Cobb Manufacturing(50cal. rifles)
4. Marlin
5. H&R
6. DMPS
7. Barnes Bullets

Cerberus/Freedom Group has no connection with George Soros:
http://www.nraila.org/legislation/f...umors-about-cerberus,-freedom.aspx?s=&st=&ps=

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom