BREAKING: US Army orders 24,000 M4 Carbines with Remington

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Link to article

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gear...s-order-for-24000-m4-carbines-with-remington/

Interesting that Remington is supplying the next batch of M4's. Wonder if the author is right and this may cause a shortage of AR OEM parts, heh.

It was bound to happen. The US Army has been buying M4 carbines exclusively from Colt since 2002 (though the first Colt M4 contract was awarded in 1996). But, as of 18:20 today, Remington Arms has been added to that dance card. The question is whether Colt retained a portion of the contract. It appears they haven’t, but it’s hard to tell from the published documents.

According to the Department of the Army’s Chief of Legislative Liaison, the Army today executed a delivery order on an existing contract to buy 24,000 M4/M4A1s worth $16,163,252.07. The order comes as line 001 on an IDIQ contract for up to 120,000 carbines worth $83,924,089.00. Though, the U.S. Army Contracting Command lists the “Max Potential Contract Value $180,000,000.00.” The rifles will be made at Remington’s factory in Ilion, NY, from the Colt technical data package and, by my math, will cost about $673 a copy. That’s a hell of a group buy price.

This news is just hours old, so Remington, and likely Colt, are still spinning up the PR machines. But, I spoke with two Remington Arms employees who confirmed the contract award but hadn’t been cleared to make a statement on behalf of the company. I haven’t heard from Colt, yet. But I expect them to be fairly quiet until the protest period has ended.

Any of you that were about to buy milspec parts for your guns, now’s a good time. I’m sure Remington is about to go on an OEM parts buying binge.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You think they will be better than the Colt's?

Colt over Remington! With Remington having so many quality control issues over the years with their civilian rifles.. especially with their trigger safeties... I just don't trust their quality like I would a Colt or a S&W.

I wonder if the S&W M&P 15 was ever in consideration? The military Colt model is certainly a good weapon... I've shot them over the years and I've handled the Remington civilian model, but personally I like the build & quality of my S&W M&P 15 better... just seems more durable and the finish more scratch / rust resistant. Just looks and feels like a more durable weapon. I looked at all 3 civilian models and could have afforded any one of them.. but the mid-range priced S&W just seemed to be a better weapon over all to me.

I get the feeling that the cash strapped Defense Department went with the Remington model strictly due to the cheap price..... not due to long-term dependability over the Colt model. For military purposes and heavy use, I think the Remington will have durability problems.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe Colt already knew this was coming down the pike. The recent front page pics and stories about "Colt Coming Back" , and the full page ads in all of the newest gun rags suggest they either knew it was coming, or maybe wanted out of the military market to focus on civilian guns that have more profit?
Anybody look at Colts stock ticker vs Ruger, and S&W? I haven't, but just speculating. I'm on my phone, so I don't want to look it up now.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As long as they follow the TDP (they have to use Colt's TDP per the contract) and the inspectors do their job, it really won't matter who the final manufacturer is....

This isn't the first time Colt has lost a piece of a .gov rifle contract.

Latest posts

Top Bottom