Britain wants its guns back

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing pisses me off more than stepping in someones big, bubbly wad of spit. It's disgusting, it's rude and pretty classless.

However, criminalizing it is about as stupid as it gets.

Back in my crawling around in the attic heat and air days it was against my law to spit in the attic. There is nothing nastier than crawling across some joists with a hand full of insulation stuck to your hand with brown spit.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was originally intended to stop the spread of TB, which was a major health concern at the time.

It's also another one of those reasons that I think every law should have a sunset clause. A lot of laws (I'd argue almost all of them) outlive their usefulness, and if a law is really at all useful, it shouldn't be that difficult to get it re-authorized. Then again, I also like one of Heinlein's ideas for a legislature, as espoused in The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress--a bicameral legislature, where one house passes laws and the other repeals them, requiring a 2/3 majority to pass a law, but only a majority to repeal...

Is the Constitution and case law included in this concept?

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I mean in your idea. It's an interesting concept, having all laws expire.
Ahh. It would only directly affect legislation; case law would be affected indirectly, and the Constitution, being primarily the box defining the limits of gov't power and its structure, would remain as-is (other than adding the amendment to require the sunset clause). With legislation being time-limited, case law's real importance would be in keeping the legislature from re-enacting laws that are stricken by the courts. If a law isn't re-enabled, it doesn't matter if the case law says it's go or no-go; if the case law says it's a no-go, then re-enabling it doesn't matter.

It would certainly change the dynamics of politics--to kill a "bad" piece of legislation, a party would only have to instigate gridlock in one part of the government as the sunset for that law approached.

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They'll never get their handguns back. Any law generated from an emotional knee jerk reaction, with that much investment and that has been on the books this long isn't going to be repealed. That's just laughable.

The Brits have been neutered and they are just a small step above being just a hapless group of subjects.

It's a lesson that should not be ignored. But it seems nobody learns lessons anymore.

Latest posts

Top Bottom