Browning Hi Power

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fitz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone know the year when Browning started stamping their Hi Power's assembled in Portugal ? I tried searching the internet but could not find a specific year.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My memory is'nt clear on it but back when I had a FFL in around the 1981-1984 time frame I bought a black matte finished BHP that had the roll marked "made in Belgium". One to two years later my Dad wanted one and I ordered another from the same distributor. It was slightly differently roll marked "Parts made in Belgium, assembled in Portugal". The chamber portion of the barrel was left in the white, the other barrel was all black. The pistols shot exactly the same, as far as I could tell. They cost around $450-460.00 if i recall correctly. They both are still residing in my safe.

Fitz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I found a good deal on one that I believe was made in 1980. It is simply marked "Made in Belgium". I have always wanted a Hi Power and couldn't pass this deal up. It does however have quite a bit of bluing wear. Is this something that I should keep the original finish on or would a reblue kill the value ?

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm more of a shooter, than collector. The only consideration I would have would be about corrosion. If I saw rust or pitting, I would'nt hesitate to get it refinished, if I could afford the cost. Would'nt give a damn about whether or not a collector thought it was worth less with the new corrosion resistant/proof finish on it. Do you believe the model and year of manufacture of the one your looking at is especially rare or collectible? Or just one of thousands produced over the last fifty years. A damned fine shooter I might add. The field strip procedure could not hardly be any easier. I've found the BHP pistols to be a pleasure to clean, lube and maintain. Great choice, good luck.:thumbup3:

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't find my list of mfg. dates right now but if i remember right mine is a 1980 model, Belgium only and has a serial # prefix of 245PM. Bluing so deep it looks like you can dive into it.

John Browning knew his stuff.

okiebertt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The assembled in Portugal BHPs shoot just fine, about the only thing you might want to change is the trigger pull.
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v23_hberttmank_bhp1.jpg

For a collectors gun it's hard to beat the T-series Belgium Hi-Power, the fit and bluing are excellent.
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v23_hberttmank_browninghighpowerT.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom