Buck bring production back to the USA!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And it looks like a few others are set to come home again soon. China's recent inflation along with their addition of ridiculous fees and taxes on goods made there seem to be making them the new USA and turning us back into the old USA (to some degree).

Taiwan is still a great place to get manufacturing goods made (many parts made there are of the highest quality and their economy is right around what the USA's is), but they're feeling the heat as well lately.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/10/23/1850121/made-in-china.html

Buck Knives was facing the pressure of getting its labor costs down about a dozen years ago. The company began shipping up to half its production to China.

Domestic customers - many of them fans of the company’s well-known hunting knives - weren’t happy. They wanted their product made in America.

“Hunters are rednecks, and they don’t like anything with that C word on it,” said Chuck Buck, the company chairman, whose grandfather founded the company in 1902.

So over the past several years, Buck Knives has taken steps to bring all of its hunting-knife production back and much of its other production to its plant in Post Falls in northern Idaho, where the company moved from Southern California in 2005. Previously, 30 percent of the hunting-knife output came from China.

Buck Knives is not the only Idaho company “reshoring” - the opposite of offshoring, and the buzz term for bringing jobs from abroad back to America.

Ende Machinery and Foundry, owned by Ed Endebrock and his daughter Sue Edwards, has just started to make castings for a plant Endebrock owns in Lewiston that makes hydraulic pumps for trucks and other uses.

He had been outsourcing that work to China.

The foundry will bring 20 jobs to Craigmont - a town of about 500 people south of Lewiston on the Camus Prairie - and has some townfolks thinking the business will attract even more companies in the future.

“That is why we are excited to see the foundry,” said Raina Frei, a Craigmont City Council member. “This could be huge for Craigmont.”

Buck Knives and the Craigmont foundry are part of what so far is only a minor national movement. Reshoring from China and other countries doesn’t even show up on statistical employment studies, said Scott Paul, executive director of the Alliance for American Manufacturing, a nonprofit that pushes for increased manufacturing in the United States.

Reshoring is not a trend, he says: “It’s a trickle.”

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I was at Academy yesterday and I noticed this. Buck has several well priced knives that are MIUSA.

Funny, I was going to buy a small pocket folder with a clip that was miUSA for like $14 and I set it down to look at something and forgot it.

:scratch:

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the sound of American companies coming back to our shores. If America would stop outsourcing and sending jobs outside of the US we could be a manufacturing nation once again.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I prefe all my knives be made in Pakistan. That way they are cheap, dull and rusty!

BTW, did anyone else catch that the guy's name is Chuck Buck. I can't imagine the teasing that would befall a 10 year old with that name!

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WTF is up Chuck Buck!? No. I'm sure he never got knocked around the playground.

Good to see some manufacturing coming back stateside.

Latest posts

Top Bottom