Bullet question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rahzel100

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My grandfather is buying me my first reloading press and kit for Christmas this year. I have a glock 23(.40) that i will be reloading for most often. im looking at bullet prices and Cabela's has "Berry's preferred plated pistol bullets" at $30 for 250 rounds. this is just going to be range ammo so it doesnt need to be anything real nice.

My question is: is there anything cheaper, is this brand ok or is it crap, and what brands would you recommend trying? Im trying to keep it as cheap as possible so i can shoot more. Thanks.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My grandfather is buying me my first reloading press and kit for Christmas this year. I have a glock 23(.40) that i will be reloading for most often. im looking at bullet prices and Cabela's has "Berry's preferred plated pistol bullets" at $30 for 250 rounds. this is just going to be range ammo so it doesnt need to be anything real nice.

My question is: is there anything cheaper, is this brand ok or is it crap, and what brands would you recommend trying? Im trying to keep it as cheap as possible so i can shoot more. Thanks.

If it wasn't a Glock, I would tell you to get cast bullets for the range. I don't know if J&K has anything that is jacketed, but he is a good local bullet maker. Sorry, about all I load is cast for 9mm and 45 ACP. Good luck.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
here comes the "lead or not to lead" in glocks debate. personally, i run lead with no issues other than the "glocked brass" fixed with a lone wolf barrel though. J&K i believe is carrying some plated bullets, get with mitch here on the forum.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely check with J&K to see what they have. As to Berry's, I have limited experience with loading them, but have had no complaints.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I believe J&K's prices on Berry's are cheaper than ordering from Cabelas or direct. Mitch has sent a lot of lead bullets downrange out of his Glocks too.

If you want jacketed bullets and are willing to buy a little more at a time Montana Gold, Zero, or Precision Delta will be the cheapest jacketed bullets around.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I would pony up just a little more and get true jacketed bullets, that way if you want to load hotter to replicate self defense rounds, you have that option, whereas with plated you are limited to more cast lead territory for velocity. If you want cheap, shoot hard cast lead bullets at mild velocity and check the barrel bore regularly. Unless there's something I'm not aware of, it's a barrel, it may or may not lead badly, and you won't know until you shoot lead through it. Yes, I know the rifling is different (polygonal), but my engineering brain still hasn't figured out how that automatically should mean lead should be off limits.

My one piece of advice, would be check it regularly, and clean it thoroughly before switching from cast lead to jacketed.

rahzel100

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was planning on staying with jacketed and with christmas coming i should have some extra cash so i may buy in bulk. thanks for the tips guys. if you have anymore belt em out.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been running plated bullets from Berry's and others for some time. I shoot plated bullets out of my 44 mags, rifle, single shot and semi autos. No problem if you keep the speed around 1200fps or less. Mitch is my source for all my plated bullet needs now. In case you didn't know, he also stocks 223 fmj bullets at very competitive prices, I just wish berry's made the .50 cal 300 grain bullets.. Blitzfike

Latest posts

Top Bottom