Business model question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I certainly agree that a private meeting room could be necessary for some cases.

That said, I'd be absolutely fine with using a lawyer who didn't have a dedicated office as long as he/she was competent.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wouldn't bother me in the least, I'm a one man business and work out of my home. Could have used a good lawyer a couple times but was afraid of what it would cost. Wouldn't mind even meeting for lunch at a quiet place for the initial meeting. You would need an answering service or a really good OGM on you cell for when you are in court or with a client.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I live in the virtual world everyday, online meetings, conference calls, etc. It's a pain when we have to conduct a meeting in a "public" place, and I try to avoid doing that. Some of our vendor partners have office space and we tend to use those rooms if we have to. It's so easy to video conference these days I would prefer that over meeting in a public place.

I think this is an innovative idea, but as some have indicated there are challenges, some folks will readily accept the change, and some won't, so you have to decide what your target market is. Me personally I would much rather conduct the easy stuff via phone or video conference and get some time back instead of traveling across town. But not everyone has access to technology to support video conference, although many folks have IPhones which will Facetime.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a lawyer, I have met clients in unconventional places; in one instance, the lobby of Norman Regional Hospital. It wasn't so much to keep rates down as it was a convenient place to meet on short notice. I've also handled phone calls from the car, and finished paperwork in the (courthouse) law library just this morning.

Would I use such a lawyer for a multimillion-dollar case? Probably not. But for what most people need done, house calls can be a good thing. Wills and powers-of-attorney are often done in hospitals or nursing homes.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a lawyer, I have met clients in unconventional places; in one instance, the lobby of Norman Regional Hospital. It wasn't so much to keep rates down as it was a convenient place to meet on short notice. I've also handled phone calls from the car, and finished paperwork in the (courthouse) law library just this morning.

Would I use such a lawyer for a multimillion-dollar case? Probably not. But for what most people need done, house calls can be a good thing. Wills and powers-of-attorney are often done in hospitals or nursing homes.

Would you use such a lawyer to keep you out of jail or to obtain a favorable plea bargain?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just get an RV and work out of that. You could double as a food truck. People with legal issues like to stress eat.

That reminded me of this.

img.ifcdn.com_images_39bba79780e47f22cfdfcfd3681ab5bed25a1971d2f211027c328f353154ba0f_1.jpg

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of non-traditional business models. I HATE lawyers'/doctors offices/banks that are ostentatious and blow the money of their clientele on showy ********.

I still keep thinking about going into concierge practice and doing mostly home visits, but ObamaCare really restricts that.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I suppose it would depend upon my comfort level with the lawyer and the nature of the charges.

That's fair. Having another income stream and nearly zero debt has its perks. I'm free to handle only the cases that interest me (as opposed to taking any type of case that walks through the door) without having to worry about generating a lot of money. I suppose I'm a little more set up to take a risk than most. If the idea fails, I can still transition over to a traditional model without facing starvation.

Latest posts

Top Bottom