C&R Questions...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrentd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a few questions about curio and relic licenses.

1. Just curious on how common it is to hold a C&R license?
2. Is it worth it to have one?
3. The process seems pretty painless. Is that a safe assumption?
4. Any negatives come with it? (Other than empty pockets)

I apologize if this has been covered before...my search didn't come back with much at all.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1) No idea how common they are - some folks have them, but the majority? I doubt it.
2) It can be worth it if for no other reason than for the discounts you get from Brownells, Midway, etc. The more stuff you buy from them, the better a value the C&R is.
3) It's an easy process, yes.
4) You need to keep all your C&R firearm transactions logged in a bound book - both purchases and sales, with the name and address of the person you bought from or sold to for each firearm. This bound book has to be kept for as long as you maintain your C&R license, and can be subject to audit by the BATF. This was the one thing I didn't care for when I had a C&R, having to maintain the bound book. I'm not that organized :P

ocphy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just get it, get discounts at brownells, midway, and a few other places. Get a good C&R book and keep it up to date when you get something, or sell something. Not a hard process.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Best money I've spent was on a C&R. Paid for itself in discounts alone within the first year of having it. Got some great C&R guns on things of limited quanity that I probably wouldn't have been able to get if I waited for a FFL to order it for me. Two that come to mind are the Mosin Nagant91/30 sniper rifles and the sinobanian sks(s) that I got with mine.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This may be a dumb question but when you get a C&R do you have to log all of your firearms you had prior to having the C&R and/or log anything new you get, like say you purchase a shiney new Colt 6920 or a ruger 10/22, those are not a C&R but would it have to go in the book?

The idea of a C&R for me sounds good. I kinda dig the whole mil-surp thing.

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had one for several years in the last decade when mausers were $69.00 to $129.00, and 59/66 Yugo SKS were $99.00...shipped.

I let mine lapse after a few dozen rifles, and the prices went up on everything but some of the Mosins.

It was also during the beginning of King Hussein Obama's First Reign (or Reich, whichever you prefer),and I didn't need such a hostile administration to have such easy access to my house.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This may be a dumb question but when you get a C&R do you have to log all of your firearms you had prior to having the C&R and/or log anything new you get, like say you purchase a shiney new Colt 6920 or a ruger 10/22, those are not a C&R but would it have to go in the book?

The idea of a C&R for me sounds good. I kinda dig the whole mil-surp thing.
No.
"Non C&R purchased firearms: Basically, for non C&R firearms, your ability to purchase these remains the same as if you did not have the license. You do not record non C&R firearm purchases/sales in your bound book. It is a good idea, however, to record sales of C&R firearms to eligible but non-licensed buyers in the book. You really cannot keep enough records; it is always better to have too much, than too little recorded. In the end, a book for ALL purchases is a good idea, if only for insurance purposes." http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/howtogetyourcurionrelicffl03/index.asp

Latest posts

Top Bottom