CA Bullet-Microstamping Law Upheld By 9th Circuit, Even Though Technology Doesn't Exist

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A California "microstamping" law that requires new semi-automatic handguns automatically imprint bullet casings with identifying information has been upheld by the 9th circuit court of appeals in a 2:1 split decision - despite the fact that the technology doesn't exist, reports ABC News.

The microstamping law - the first of its kind in the nation signed in 2007 by then-governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, took effect in 2013. It requires that brand new handguns sold in California imprint the gun's make, model and serial number in "two or more places" on each bullet casing from a spent round."

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018...h-circuit-even-though-technology-doesnt-exist

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does the law apply to revo's
No, just semi-autos (for now). Revolvers don't throw brass everywhere at a crime scene though.

One of my favorite parts of the article:

When this certification occurred in 2013, the State clarified that the certification confirmed only “the lack of any patent restrictions on the imprinting technology, not the availability of the technology itself.” In layman’s terms, the state was saying that nothing was stopping someone from developing the technology, so it was “available,” even though it wasn’t.

By that logic, Star Trek transporters are also "available."

Hopefully this will make it to SCOTUS and be overturned. And ridiculed. :drunk2:

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, Jeebus, they don't have anything else to do in California but help create businesses and advance technology like this. I mean, everything else there is already fixed! Right?

Hey, can you post a link to where we can get one of them star trek transporter things? I'm skeered of flying and want to go on vacation.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, Jeebus, they don't have anything else to do in California but help create businesses and advance technology like this. I mean, everything else there is already fixed! Right?

Hey, can you post a link to where we can get one of them star trek transporter things? I'm skeered of flying and want to go on vacation.

Be careful, I heard Microsoft was the one coding the software to disassemble you and put you back together.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IIRC, I read an article around that same time that the technology did exist and the company that created the tech was the ones pushing for the laws to boost their own business. This same law was attempted in several states and never made it to a vote.

Latest posts

Top Bottom