calipers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
well my old dial calipers bit the dust beyond repair. Haven't looked for any in a long, long time, whats out there for a decent price, don't want junk, or gold plated just a good set that will hold up over the years

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Brown and Sharpe are the best, but certainly not the cheapest.

If its for reloading some of the more cost efficient models will work. I've been out of the machine shop business for several years, so I'm not sure what the current models are like.

The foreign models like Mititoyo were really good back in the day. You don't need .0005 resolution for reloading if that's what your doing.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Using harbor frieght digital right now I got for like 10 bucks with a coupon. I checked them against my buddies blue points and my dads brown and sharpe. Spot on.

If I was still in the machine shop I would have mittatoyo starret or brown & sharpe.

Go to pawn shops and look sometimes deals can be had. Just look up model numbers because a $75 starret can look just like a $200 one. Shops near more industrial side of town tend to have more more often

Sent via message in a bottle

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use Mitutoyo. I have two single revolution, and one half revolution dial. I don't remember how I ended up with the half dial. All three are 8". I have a couple of 6", but seldom use them. Most of my micrometers are Mitutoyo, Browne and Sharp, Eaton, and so on, but I do have a few cheap-o 6" calipers and micrometers that live around the machinery for rougher parts, or God forbid someone that wants to use one. A guy had to buy me a new 8" Mitutoyo after he flung it on the floor, not paying attention. They were $150 back then.

All that said, to measure a case, or bullet for reloading, if you take care of it, some cheapo Enco, or Central that are NOT made of plastic will probably suit your needs just fine. They are usually consistent the first couple of inches, and accurate withing .001", which is all a guy needs for stuff like reloading. It's when they are wide open that they begin to be a tad "off."

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I've found that dial calipers read easier than digital read out calipers, for reloading.
No scientific or logical reasons, but when measuring COL or whatever, then turning a die in a bit more, reseating g and measuring, over and over until correct, it's just simpler to view motion and tick marks.

I'm cheap, have two Midway dial calipers and a digital Harbor Freight caliper. They're all accurate enough (For me) for reloading.

Latest posts

Top Bottom