Campus carry passed senate!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is this the faculty and staff only bill or the anyone with a permit bill?

I'll have to double check but I think this is the faculty/staff bill which is essentially toothless because the college presidents still retain full denial power. All that is removed is the statutory declaration of the campus as a gun-free zone.

If anybody thinks Boren/Hargis/et.al. are going to give Prof. Smith or Admin. Asst. Jones permission to carry, you've got another think coming.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I got an email from my school tonight with a survey. I won't say where I go but they're definitely against campus carry.

ai23.photobucket.com_albums_b375_randy25rhoads_8c17feb1.jpg

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, it's SB 858, which ammends the prohibited places to say this:

E. In addition to the provisions of subsection D of this section, any person who possesses a valid concealed handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act or who is certified by the Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training to carry a weapon shall be authorized to carry the concealed handgun into or upon any public college or university property. Nothing contained in this subsection shall be construed to change the authority of any public college or university in this state from establishing a policy or rule that restricts or prohibits persons who have a concealed handgun license from carrying a concealed handgun into any access-controlled event where all persons entering the event are subject to security checkpoint screenings by immediately available security personnel.

There is no mention of faculty or any other such restrictions, so I think you have a different bill in mind. Basically, it only gives schools the authority to prohibit carrying into an event where attendees are subject to security checkpoint screenings (sporting events, etc.)

ljb2of3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, it's SB 858, which ammends the prohibited places to say this:

E. In addition to the provisions of subsection D of this section, any person who possesses a valid concealed handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act or who is certified by the Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training to carry a weapon shall be authorized to carry the concealed handgun into or upon any public college or university property. Nothing contained in this subsection shall be construed to change the authority of any public college or university in this state from establishing a policy or rule that restricts or prohibits persons who have a concealed handgun license from carrying a concealed handgun into any access-controlled event where all persons entering the event are subject to security checkpoint screenings by immediately available security personnel.

I'm still confused as to where this leaves private schools, like TU. How do private schools fit in the law now, and how would this bill change that, if at all?

Latest posts

Top Bottom