Can I borrow your OBD II code reader in BA? help diagnose my auto

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have one that is not compatible with my 2012 PriusC and giving an unintelligible code.
Just need to borrow it, read the code and bring it back.
Car will not run or start. 115,000 miles bought new.
Was "chugging" before the warning light came on and "hybrid system warning" flashed on the screen.
Changed the starter battery about 2 weeks before i started theses symptoms and now won't run. Reads 13.89 volts
Took the hybrid cell out and checked the cells in pairs and all were very close in voltage but after more research I will prob take it back out and check each cell individually and document the voltage for each cell.
Ordered new plugs, might order new coil packs.
Thoughts?

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have on you can borrow at the office. Text me tomorrow to remind me and I'll put it in my truck. You can come by the house and get it

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have one that is not compatible with my 2012 PriusC and giving an unintelligible code.
Just need to borrow it, read the code and bring it back.
Car will not run or start. 115,000 miles bought new.
Was "chugging" before the warning light came on and "hybrid system warning" flashed on the screen.
Changed the starter battery about 2 weeks before i started theses symptoms and now won't run. Reads 13.89 volts
Took the hybrid cell out and checked the cells in pairs and all were very close in voltage but after more research I will prob take it back out and check each cell individually and document the voltage for each cell.
Ordered new plugs, might order new coil packs.
Thoughts?

Our Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited did the same thing after a battery change. The dealership had to flash the onboard computer to get it running right.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Checked two fuse blocks under the hood and the fuse block under the dash
Thanks for the ideas hoddy, I may end up taking it to the dealer but not after I have eliminated a few things
Ty, working tomorrow night til 2:30 am tues. will either earlier monday or weds evening work?
I'll text you tomorrow.
Looks like I got a PM also. Thanks all

Last edited:

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas hoddy, I may end up taking it to the dealer but not after I have eliminated a few things
Ty, working tomorrow night til 2:30 am tues. will either earlier monday or weds evening work?
I'll text you tomorrow.
Looks like I got a PM also. Thanks all[/QUO
I'll text you tomorrow.
Looks like I got a PM also. Thanks all

My mondays are usually all over the place for me. Even if im not there your welcome to come by the office and get it if you'd like also.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If something has become wonky in the computer settings, simply disconnecting all batteries for a day/overnight might make it reset to default settings when you reconnect them.

Just a thought. :drunk2:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you just have an OBD-II reader, that most likely won't work on a 2012 anything. You'll need a CAN-capable reader; fortunately, they're a lot cheaper than when I bought my first one--I had to buy a $500 adapter and software package back in the day, but I think I paid all of $50 at Walmart for the one I had to buy for the work van last year.

Also, Autozone, O'Reilly's, Advance Auto, et al. will usually read the codes for free, but I guess that won't help if you can't get 'er started to get 'er there...

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
This what I use, there are iOS versions too. Cheap and have used on vehicles from 2018 Toyota, 2012 f350, 2007 Jeep, 2007 f250, 2017 Duramax

Screenshot_20191007-064613_Torque.jpg
20191007_064951.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom