Can I Or Can I Not Open Carry A Revolver Or Shotgun On My Rural Property?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OV1kenobi

Marksman
Reaction score
I would like your opinions and references; particularly with regard to Oklahoma statutes/laws regarding this matter.

I live in rural Rogers County, outside of the Inola city limits, on approximately ten acres of land. While tending my land; such as planting, mowing, clearing brush, harvesting timber, etc., I have often encountered poisonous snakes, coyotes and feral dogs.

Do I or do I not have the right to carry a revolver in a holster on my hip or a shotgun in order to protect myself while working on my own land?

If so, under what circumstances?

Whom should I check with for a definitive answer? The Rogers County District Attorney in Claremore?

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful replies.

Last edited:

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, according to Oklahoma statutory and case law, it is even illegal to carry a gun inside your own house unless it is for one of the purposes our masters deem to be a "legitimate" use for a firearm, which are hunting, fishing, recreation, and living history reenactments. Notice self-defense does not appear on the list. You could possibly make a defense based on necessity if you armed yourself to defend against a home intruder, but the fact that the law could force you to make such an "iffy" defense in such circumstances show that the firearms laws in this state are highly violative of our natural rights, and badly need to be changed.

The fact that the law is rarely prosecuted against people who carry guns in their own homes or on their own spread is no excuse. When your freedom depends purely on the discretion of law enforcement, it isn't worth much.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get your CCL, wear your wheelgun OWB with a shirt over it and you're good. The shotgun would be a little harder to conceal, unless it is one of those cool new Kel-Tec KSGs.

i977.photobucket.com_albums_ae259_zdadthrice_Pistolas_KelTecKSG_4459web.jpg

The fact you can't open-carry on your own property is ridiculous. If I lived on a large acreage (50+), I'd go ahead and open-carry anyway. Law or no law.

Last edited:

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The fact you can't open-carry on your own property is ridiculous. If I lived on a large acreage (50+), I'd go ahead and open-carry anyway. Law or no law.

If I lived on 10 acres outside of the city limits where I had theoretically seen numerous coyotes and hogs, I would open carry anyway. You know if any of that applied to me.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
all you should have to do if confronted is say your coyote hunting. handguns are allowed for that and there is no requirement for handgun hunters to posses a sda permit or to carry concealed.
the only requirement I can find for a sda permit is if your carrying a cartridge handgun during bow or ml season.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, according to Oklahoma statutory and case law, it is even illegal to carry a gun inside your own house unless it is for one of the purposes our masters deem to be a "legitimate" use for a firearm, which are hunting, fishing, recreation, and living history reenactments. Notice self-defense does not appear on the list. You could possibly make a defense based on necessity if you armed yourself to defend against a home intruder, but the fact that the law could force you to make such an "iffy" defense in such circumstances show that the firearms laws in this state are highly violative of our natural rights, and badly need to be changed.

The fact that the law is rarely prosecuted against people who carry guns in their own homes or on their own spread is no excuse. When your freedom depends purely on the discretion of law enforcement, it isn't worth much.

What Oklahoma law prevents one from carrying a firearm in their home?

Michael Brown

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1272 does doesn't it?

"It shall be unlawful for any person to carry upon or about his or her
person, or in a purse or other container belonging to the person, any
pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle whether loaded or unloaded...whether
such weapon be concealed or unconcealed..."

There is no exemption in there for being in your dwelling...or is there an exemption in another statute?

JPK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my humble opinion, you do have the right. However......

Here is the Oklahoma Self Defense Act as of NOV 2011.

http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2011.pdf

All 31 pages of it.

Now to answer your question in a round about way (because those sneeky State legislators, lawyers and other buffoons like it that way - sneeky like). Take your time and read the darn thing. Now that your head is spinning 'round like drunk state legislator, go back and read section 1289.1-1289.17A, inclusive. Really read it with your questions in mind.

Here is the lesson I've learned from years of dealing with Fed regs: It is not so much what the laws say you may or may not do, so much as it is what they DO NOT SAY you may or may not do. Having gone through OK SDA required training for my CCW, the Legal Instructor said that you can go all strapped, tactical and extra ammo'd up to the max - any where on your property at any time - regardless of city, town, county. Now, he did allow as that you may get strange looks from neighbors, passers by, and maybe even a visit from your friendly (maybe hostile) local police officer of jurisdiction.

If you fire your gun at some threat to you, yours and or property while mowing your lawn, hunting stray 'yotes or setting gopher traps you will be liable for any number of ordinance violations AND where that bullet / shot goes and any subsequent damages, injuries, et cetera even if an Concealed Carry permit is not required.

Some fun, huh?

I live out in the country. A while back I went outside and put 5 rounds of .45C full house BP loads into the ground - BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG. Just that quick. A moment later I hear a "shots fired" on the police and fire scanner near intersection of X Road and Y Street, just down the road from where I live. A few minutes go by and a local LEO comes on the air and says that he's in the area and can't hear any shooting, so 10-22. Lesson? You tell me. Maybe city folks shouldn't move to the country.

:twocents:

Latest posts

Top Bottom