Can you get a new medal/award issued to replace a lost one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seth247

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad was awarded a purple heart in vietnam when a RPG slammed into the side of his LCM-8 boat. He's never framed the thing just kinda stuck it in a fire safe.

A little while back the house was broken into and some young POS got a digital camera and a hole lot of nothing else for his trouble. Recently my dad mentioned that he can't find his purple heart.

It's entirely possible the thing is in a drawer somewhere or stuck in a box but I was wanting to know, if it turns out the kid did steal it, is there any way to get an award re-issued or anything like that?

Id feel a little strange just buying one at a pawn or off eBay or something.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad was awarded a purple heart in vietnam when a RPG slammed into the side of his LCM-8 boat. He's never framed the thing just kinda stuck it in a fire safe.

A little while back the house was broken into and some young POS got a digital camera and a hole lot of nothing else for his trouble. Recently my dad mentioned that he can't find his purple heart.

It's entirely possible the thing is in a drawer somewhere or stuck in a box but I was wanting to know, if it turns out the kid did steal it, is there any way to get an award re-issued or anything like that?

Id feel a little strange just buying one at a pawn or off eBay or something.

I did it for my grandfather a few years back. I just called a local office and they gave me a DOD number and after some checking to make sure my grandfather was who I said he was, they sent a replacement Silver Star.

Michael Brown

R. Johnson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have any buddies in the military ask them to take you to clothing and sales on post and you can get one. It will probably cost about seven dollars.

Seth247

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to make him a kind of glass fronted shadow box to display it in. He's also got some of the pieces of the RPG tail section. I think it would be cool to mount the medal and the shrapnel in it with some dog tags and such.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes they can. The DD214 Should list the medals if I remember right.

Yes his DD 214 will list the medals. On a Vietnam era 14 it should be in a large box about 2/3's of the way down. You can do like Michael Brown did as well as the advice I gave you. A silver star isn't a medal thats as easy to get as a Purple Heart so ordering it may be quicker/easier.

Latest posts

Top Bottom