Can you get a new medal/award issued to replace a lost one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have always wanted to do this for my dad... he's been gone over 30 years now and never officially declared legally dead, so I'd probably have to do that first. Then get his 2 (or 3?) Purple Hearts and Bronze Star re-issued and frame them with a trifolded American flag in a nice shadowbox.

I have the award letter from his Bronze Star in Vietnam, but no idea what else to do...

Seth247

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have always wanted to do this for my dad... he's been gone over 30 years now and never officially declared legally dead, so I'd probably have to do that first. Then get his 2 (or 3?) Purple Hearts and Bronze Star re-issued and frame them with a trifolded American flag in a nice shadowbox.

I have the award letter from his Bronze Star in Vietnam, but no idea what else to do...

I would do what someone above mentioned and look up his dd214 which will list the awards, then start calling places, like the local VA office, until you find someone who knows the number to call like micheal brown did.

I wouldnt think he would need to be declared legally. But it's possible.

Seth247

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would also include the award letter in the display if it's in good shape. Does it mention the act that resulted in the award?

But, if it were me displaying it, I would keep the real medals and the letter in a safe place, and put some regular online bought replica medals in the box as well as a good copy of the letter, maybe just have it retyped, because I'd be worried about losing it in a fire or some such.

Seth247

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or perhaps, instead of including the letter you could have a small brass placard engraved with the short version of the act/s resulting in the awards and either put that in the box or on the outside. That would really make it meaningful for anyone lookin at it that didn't know the story. Stuff like that always has an big impact on me.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a good idea. I do have a good copy of the award letter which details the act resulting in his Bronze Star. But I do like the idea of a bronze plaque with the story on it. Right now, everything is in a scrapbook my wife made for me at Christmas a few years ago with pictures my dad took in 'Nam, his awards and other patriotic stuff... I was literally vapor-locked and couldn't breathe when I opened the package. She did it all behind my back with my grandmother's help and it was probably the best Christmas present I've ever received.

I never knew anything about the DD214, but now that I've seen this here, it gets me started. I'll be looking into it this week. I always assumed he'd have to be declared legally dead in order for me to petition for re-issuance of his official medals. Maybe not.

Thanks!

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There was a big fire in the St Louis Military Records area many years ago which destroyed many DD214's. In some cases, it is not possible to reconstruct info regarding medals and service. I tried to reconstruct this info from my deceased Uncle's WWII stint and was unsuccessful.

I found his Purple Heart (damaged by mold and mildew) but have reason to believe he had more than one. Also, I found a Bronze Star, but I also found a seriously damaged corresponding ribbon which leads me to believe he had more than one Bronze Star. I always thought it would be cool to know these things, but, alas, it was not to be.

Latest posts

Top Bottom