Can you use bedliner on wood?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used 1/2 diesel and 1/2 used motor oil on my utility trailer/car hauler after I replaced several boards. It’s only been 6-8 months though. Several coats (3-4 on the new stuff) and that old wood drank it right in. Trailer looks better than it did when it was new. We’ll see how it holds up over time
That will last a good long while.
See my above post about the same.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would just hit up a Trailer builder/shop and see if you can get a plank of apitong. I think that’s what it was. It’s used for flatbed decking, seriously heavy duty, gnarly stuff. Buy a cheap saw blade for it though, and wear sleeves, glasses, gloves, and a mask when cutting it. Not only is it extremely tough and has silica embedded into the resin, but it splinters like a 20 year old rusty wire wheel on an angle grinder. But it’s gonna last forever. Seal the ends and call it good. Or throw some transmission fluid at it if you want to get crazy, but I don’t think it’s necessary.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Will the OP have to get up a good head of steam before driving up the oily ramp? ;)
Well , duh... What would be the fun if ya do not have to risk a little collision on occasion !!
From my experience after it soaks in for a while you are good. I have met PHG , he is young but not stupid , he will giver a minute!!
:cool:

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes. Newton Designs in Catoosa builds aircraft simulators used by federal agencies to practice for air marshals and the like.

Gatorhyde in Wagnor sprays the foam covered plywood aircraft seating and backs with their product. They shoot these seats with fragmenting ammunition.

I’ve used Gatorhyde for years. It’s the best out there.

https://www.newton-design.com/military

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This was my work van back in Oregon. I built that box on top using 3/4” plywood for my levels and misc. trim pieces. I used flex seal which I believe is silicone based. It worked really well. Over time rock chips would have to be resealed but it held up for 3 years 🤷‍♂️.
IMG_1754.jpeg

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes. Newton Designs in Catoosa builds aircraft simulators used by federal agencies to practice for air marshals and the like.

Gatorhyde in Wagoner sprays the foam covered plywood aircraft seating and backs with their product. They shoot these seats with fragmenting ammunition.

I’ve used Gatorhyde for years. It’s the best out there.

https://www.newton-design.com/military

I was in the Gatorhyde facility and was talking to the owner. The owner of the Wagoner facility is the brother in law of the man who invented Gatorhyde.

He had a bunch of foam covered plywood seats sitting next to the spray booth. I asked what he was doing with those and that's when he told me they spray them and what they were going in.

Here's pics of bare foam with a plywood base covered in the Gatorhyde.

1693568093570.png

1693568143523.png

1693568173844.png

1693568593423.png

FORCE-ON-FORCE​

To facilitate the dynamic and physical nature of force-on-force training, Newton Design’s Transportation Security simulators incorporate several unique design features:

• They are extremely robust and made to withstand the rigors of law enforcement training, which would severely damage the interior of a standard aircraft cabin mock-up. Simulator components such as interior bulkheads and passenger seats are structurally enhanced, and components such as lavatory doors feature easy to reset break-away door track hardware.
  • The use of a durable coating on all interior components (all interior walls and bulkheads, including seats and seat backs) protects the interior from Non-Lethal Training Ammunition (NLTA) impacts as well as other abuse.
  • In the unlikely event a simulator component is damaged during training, it can be replaced quickly and inexpensively due to innovative design and material choices. Often this can be done by site maintenance personnel.
  • The simulators are constructed to prevent the escape of any NLTA or debris, providing safety for any personnel located outside the simulator while training is in progress.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That will last a good long while.
See my above post about the same.
I use old black engine oil from my tractor mixed with diesel or hydraulic oil and spray the top and bottom of the wood floor with a cheap pump up sprayer. i have some very old floors that set out 24 7. the best most coveted mix is black engine oil mixed with 90 weight then cut with diesel. the waxy stuff is the best. and i have no problems with slick floors.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or is Thomsons water seal just as good lol
Biggest load of crap marketing of crap, there is. TWS is animal and solvent.

Some bedliner is made for wood, use it on top surface, for protection and slip resistance. Bottom side, prime/paint or varnish.

Treated wood, do not coat for several months. Let it dry.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use old black engine oil from my tractor mixed with diesel or hydraulic oil and spray the top and bottom of the wood floor with a cheap pump up sprayer. i have some very old floors that set out 24 7. the best most coveted mix is black engine oil mixed with 90 weight then cut with diesel. the waxy stuff is the best. and i have no problems with slick floors.
yep I used spent diesel oil from my F-350 and diesel fuel. My trailer sat outside also.
Was not slick and I had the same deck boards on it for 20 years or so.

Latest posts

Top Bottom