Work Bench Finish

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About 75% done with my new wood work bench for my shop. 16' long, 41" tall and 34" deep. Made of kiln dried 2x4,6,12 and 4x4 material. I've sanded it down to get all the splinters and "defects out of the wood. I don't want to leave it bare wood and don't want to paint it. I'd like a finish on it but keep it about the same natural wood color or just a hair of a darker tint. What would you use to get it a nice coat and maybe a small bit of protection (from what, IDK).

My first thought is linseed oil or some sort of teak oil. Not sure which direction to take this to give it a nice finish. Is there a reasonable thought to leave it unfinsihed? What say you?
Thompson's Water Seal will keep oil and crud from soaking into it too badly. Darkens the wood just a little bit.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will second boiled linseed oil. I would actually recommend pure ting oil, but BLO will set up in a few days vs. a few weeks. Either will give little protection but can be touched up easily.

If you want protection polyurethane is what you want. The water based Valspar stuff at Lowe’s is pretty tough. I used that on a little table and chairs I made for my then 5 year old granddaughter and it still looks good.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Didn't get much done on it today but snapped a few pics for your entertainment value. I set one of the 2x12 bench top planks on it just for show. Shooting to get it completed by end of next weekend, less whatever finish I put on it. It will have a bottom shelf were you see the lower set of 2x4s going horizontally. THe two 2x4 going the length of the back side are what I'll use to screw it to the wall with 3.5" wood to metal self tappers. I still have a lot of carriage bolts to put through the most of the wood connection points. Did you notice the two 2 ton Samsung mini splits against the wall where the work bench will go. Those are getting installed later this week. :hot:Enjoy.
IMG_1190.jpg
IMG_1191.jpg
IMG_1192.jpg
IMG_1196.jpg
IMG_1189.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Didn't get much done on it today but snapped a few pics for your entertainment value. I set one of the 2x12 bench top planks on it just for show. Shooting to get it completed by end of next weekend, less whatever finish I put on it. It will have a bottom shelf were you see the lower set of 2x4s going horizontally. THe two 2x4 going the length of the back side are what I'll use to screw it to the wall with 3.5" wood to metal self tappers. I still have a lot of carriage bolts to put through the most of the wood connection points. Did you notice the two 2 ton Samsung mini splits against the wall where the work bench will go. Those are getting installed later this week. :hot:Enjoy.
View attachment 390253View attachment 390254View attachment 390255View attachment 390256 View attachment 390252
That’s going to make a Danged sturdy workbench.

Big50

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 390253View attachment 390254View attachment 390255View attachment 390256 View attachment 390252
I like a man that over builds stuff. Nice job sir!

Rustytigwire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice bench or not. Put disposable top to protect.
Conveyor belt scraps, plywood, cardboard.
Heavy animal stall mat from Atwoods. Protects both table and parts from scratches and dings.
Iron table or decent stump when you need to beat something. Mass is your friend.

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need some diagonal bracing in that bench, or plywood sides.
Sure, it can handle a vertical load, but its side to side loading that makes it wobble.

As to finish, use up whatever left over house paint you have laying around.
Surely you can mix 2 or 3 cans together and come up with something that will work.

Put your money in a sheet of plywood on top of the 2 x top
It makes for a smooth flat surface and you can replace it when it looks like hell.

Looks like it will cover a lot of wall space and be fairly deep.
A few electrical outlets on the front of the bench under the top lip would be nice.

Plywood from the floor to the lower shelf on the inside of the legs will save you a lot of time on your belly with a flashlight looking for parts under the bench.

Latest posts

Top Bottom