Cannelure or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to buy some .223 jacketed bullets for my AR. Looking at .55 gr, loading with Varget.
I've pulled factory rounds in the past and they didn't have a cannelure.
I was browsing Powder valley and Hornady bullet sites, and noticed some of them come with cannelures, and some not.

What do you guys think?
Like em with or without cannelures?

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like them without. I use 69 grain Sierra hpbt bullets. I seat them at different depths depending if it is for slow fire or for rapid fire in my AR.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis,

I use the Hornady 55gr FMJBT w/cannelure and they shoot very well from my M4 clone. I can hit the flash target at OKCGC at 300 yards with them. That's saying something with me behind the rifle. Put a good shooter behind it and I would have no worries with them at all but that's not a bullet issue. It you are looking for a good plinking load they're the tits. Realistically in my gun with its 1:9 barrel and no magnified optics, 300 to 400 with this load is about all one should expect anyway.

And a FYI, Montana Gold makes an identical looking version that's a good bit cheaper. Split a case of those with someone and you'll save some money, but the Hornady is a darn good flying bullet.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis,

I use the Hornady 55gr FMJBT w/cannelure and they shoot very well from my M4 clone. I can hit the flash target at OKCGC at 300 yards with them. That's saying something with me behind the rifle. Put a good shooter behind it and I would have no worries with them at all but that's not a bullet issue. It you are looking for a good plinking load they're the tits. Realistically in my gun with its 1:9 barrel and no magnified optics, 300 to 400 with this load is about all one should expect anyway.

And a FYI, Montana Gold makes an identical looking version that's a good bit cheaper. Split a case of those with someone and you'll save some money, but the Hornady is a darn good flying bullet.

This is going to be a plinking round, not target.
I blow most of my ammo at the creek at the farm. Kind of hard to pick up the Brass, but I get more at the range.
I'm trying to stick with the 55 Gr, and I have the Nikon Coyote scope that is calibrated for that round.

Thanks for the additional info. I'll put it in the "things to not forget locker"

Latest posts

Top Bottom