Can't decide on what I want as far as a new revolver!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you have the 649 and the LCRx reversed. At any rate I vote for the LCR since I'm looking for a good deal on one in .357 flavor myself.

Either one of the two will work, the weird thing is is about the plain jane LCR is actually heavier that the 3 inch model. I handled both the other day at my local gun store and the regular LCR is actually heavier, why Ruger did such an odd thing, I have no idea.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I need some help deciding on what revolver I ought to get as my next one.
I want one of these three:

1) Smith & Wesson TRR8 (N frame, 8 shot, .357)
2) Smith & Wesson Model 649 (J frame, 5 shot, .38 Special)
3) Ruger LCRx (3" model, .38 Special)

All of these are good without a doubt in mind.
I already have a Smith & Wesson Model 66 no dash.
So I'm not sure if I ought to get a large revolver, medium size revolver, or a small size revolver.
So just give me y'all's opinion on all three of these revolvers so I can get more of an idea on what I oughta' get.

If I had the money I would get one in a heartbeat!!! :rollingla

Do you know what you're looking at? These options are all over the place and are very dissimilar outside of caliber.

You list a TRR8 as an option but then say you'd get the MUCH cheaper M69 in a "heartbeat" if you had the money?

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you know what you're looking at? These options are all over the place and are very dissimilar outside of caliber.

You list a TRR8 as an option but then say you'd get the MUCH cheaper M69 in a "heartbeat" if you had the money?

I haven't really checked the prices lately. I've always thought that a .44Magnum is more cost wise than a .357Magnum. I'm not big in the revolver world (I've only had three revolvers) so I barely know the different sizes. I still needa' compare the three revolvers to each other to see what I really want. :P

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recently acquired a Ruger LCR in 9mm. I was never all that impressed with LCRs but was looking for a good, reliable truck gun, so I sprung for one. I have to admit, I made a good choice. I find only one fault with it and that is that it's a 5 shooter. Actually, that's not a real biggie, but I have to complain about something, don't I? Actually, my biggest complaint is that it's not an LCRx. I like hammer guns.

Modest price, good caliber, reliable, as accurate as I am and, very important to me, it feels right in my hand.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently acquired a Ruger LCR in 9mm. I was never all that impressed with LCRs but was looking for a good, reliable truck gun, so I sprung for one. I have to admit, I made a good choice. I find only one fault with it and that is that it's a 5 shooter. Actually, that's not a real biggie, but I have to complain about something, don't I? Actually, my biggest complaint is that it's not an LCRx. I like hammer guns.

Modest price, good caliber, reliable, as accurate as I am and, very important to me, it feels right in my hand.

I like the idea of the LRC in 9mm, but when you go to shoot it, nuh uh, ain't for me.
My dad just recently got his LCR in 9mm about two weeks ago or so.
It feels really good in the hands, no lie, but it's just UNGODLY snappy!
Even with just plain ball ammo, no +P or +P+, it hurts the crap outta' my hand!
Now if the grip was longer and a bit wider, than I'd probably enjoy it more but after shooting at least 10 rounds through it, I'm done with that gun for the day.
I don't think that semi-auto cartridges should be in a revolver, unless it's .45ACP, now that I can handle.
I'd love to see something like an L or N frame revolver be in .40S&W and it be like an 8 shot with some large Pachmayr grips. That would be sweet!
FYI: .40S&W is my go to caliber over everything else. ;P

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
as soon as the next season rolls up I'm going to sell a rifle and get a ruger 101...not on your list but maybe the list is too short...:idea:

I love the Ruger Sp101, I just find it a bit to heavy for say shoulder carry, which is why I want the S&W Model 649 or Ruger LCRx w/ the 3" barrel.
I'd have it inverted carry though. I have a normal shoulder rig but it's just annoying, it would be more of a holster to put my Model 66 in and wear a heavy winter coat.
But if I do get the Sp101 it'll be the 2.25" barrel with the bobbed hammer, I really like the looks of that model, my dad though thinks it's ungodly ugly.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
S&W 8 shot. Seems more versatile to me. Self defense/concealed carry, hunting, competition. But other than "want" you don't say what you'd be using it for, so my opinion may be way off base.

Latest posts

Top Bottom