Carbon Tax

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just another reason why not to live on the left coast.

Washington state makes second attempt to establish first U.S. carbon tax
• The Clean Air, Clean Energy Initiative 1631 (I-1631) has been qualified for the November ballot by the Secretary of State’s Office with nearly 350,000 signatures submitted
• I-1631 carries a $500,000 price tag and would create a 15-to-40 cent/gallon increase in gasoline prices at the pump (according to a study done by the Washington Policy Center)
• Combined with increased costs for heating and electricity, an average residence in Seattle initially would pay an incremental ~$170 annually, increasing to $510/household in 2029
• Under I-1631 Washington state would apply the nation’s first direct fee/tax on carbon emitters based on the carbon content of fossil fuels sold or used and in the electricity consumed
• A fee of $15/metric ton of carbon content would be assessed starting in 2020, after which the fee would increase annually by $2/metric ton
• The Western States Petroleum Association (WSPA) is urging voters to reject the measure and instead work to create market-based programs for reducing greenhouse gas emissions
• “Unfortunately, the program I-1631 would impose will not meet the intended carbon reduction goals while raising costs on consumers and industry” – Kara Siepmann, WSPA’s Strategic Communications Manager
• In 2016 Washington voters rejected a ballot measure to create a carbon tax, with 58% opposed to Initiative 732

lee1000

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just another reason why not to live on the left coast.

Washington state makes second attempt to establish first U.S. carbon tax
• The Clean Air, Clean Energy Initiative 1631 (I-1631) has been qualified for the November ballot by the Secretary of State’s Office with nearly 350,000 signatures submitted
• I-1631 carries a $500,000 price tag and would create a 15-to-40 cent/gallon increase in gasoline prices at the pump (according to a study done by the Washington Policy Center)
• Combined with increased costs for heating and electricity, an average residence in Seattle initially would pay an incremental ~$170 annually, increasing to $510/household in 2029
• Under I-1631 Washington state would apply the nation’s first direct fee/tax on carbon emitters based on the carbon content of fossil fuels sold or used and in the electricity consumed
• A fee of $15/metric ton of carbon content would be assessed starting in 2020, after which the fee would increase annually by $2/metric ton
• The Western States Petroleum Association (WSPA) is urging voters to reject the measure and instead work to create market-based programs for reducing greenhouse gas emissions
• “Unfortunately, the program I-1631 would impose will not meet the intended carbon reduction goals while raising costs on consumers and industry” – Kara Siepmann, WSPA’s Strategic Communications Manager
• In 2016 Washington voters rejected a ballot measure to create a carbon tax, with 58% opposed to Initiative 732

I could not dislike the left more.

Latest posts

Top Bottom