Carpentry Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Damn nice. Though I prefer the lick n stick brick myself

Thanks, the plaster fit better with the hole desert vibe in ABQ, it was a flip house and there was minimal "lick" that went with the stick, so a lot of it was falling off...

When it comes to building cabinets here are my tips.

Develop a good cut list for your sheet goods and go to HD or Lowes. Even though I have everything to break the sheets down I find it way easier to spiff the guy running the panel saw at the box store a few bucks to spend some time with me breaking the sheets down there. Takes very little time, and I come home with my sheet goods ready for the next stage. Even though you will get a lot of feedback both ways, I like pocket holes, they make assembly easier. While traditional cabinet making uses Dados you can shortcut this by using pocket holes for certain projects.

If one side of the cabinet will abut the wall, leave 1/4"-3/8" overhang on the face frame on that side the allow you to scribe the face to meet the wall for a better fit/finish. I typically bevel that edge on the face frame when I rip the material, just a slight 15 degree bevel, but sometimes that slightly sharp edge is enough to make the face tight to the wall.

There isn't much to making a simple flat panel door with some cope/stick cutters in a router table, for a few doors there is probably more setup time, than actual cutting time.

Raised panes doors increase the effort 3-4x because of the effort for the panel(glue up/surface/machining).

I'll add more as I think of it, I'm sure others will chime in too. I don't mind giving you some help as well.

Here are some pics of some cabinets I made for the house, don't have any finished pics for some reason. First pic is the sheet goods cut from HD...

bk1.jpg
bk2.jpg
bk3.jpg
bk4.jpg

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks, the plaster fit better with the hole desert vibe in ABQ, it was a flip house and there was minimal "lick" that went with the stick, so a lot of it was falling off...

When it comes to building cabinets here are my tips.

Develop a good cut list for your sheet goods and go to HD or Lowes. Even though I have everything to break the sheets down I find it way easier to spiff the guy running the panel saw at the box store a few bucks to spend some time with me breaking the sheets down there. Takes very little time, and I come home with my sheet goods ready for the next stage. Even though you will get a lot of feedback both ways, I like pocket holes, they make assembly easier. While traditional cabinet making uses Dados you can shortcut this by using pocket holes for certain projects.

If one side of the cabinet will abut the wall, leave 1/4"-3/8" overhang on the face frame on that side the allow you to scribe the face to meet the wall for a better fit/finish. I typically bevel that edge on the face frame when I rip the material, just a slight 15 degree bevel, but sometimes that slightly sharp edge is enough to make the face tight to the wall.

There isn't much to making a simple flat panel door with some cope/stick cutters in a router table, for a few doors there is probably more setup time, than actual cutting time.

Raised panes doors increase the effort 3-4x because of the effort for the panel(glue up/surface/machining).

I'll add more as I think of it, I'm sure others will chime in too. I don't mind giving you some help as well.

Here are some pics of some cabinets I made for the house, don't have any finished pics for some reason. First pic is the sheet goods cut from HD...

View attachment 124022 View attachment 124023 View attachment 124024 View attachment 124025

Wow thanks! That is very helpful! Looks great too!

Latest posts

Top Bottom