Cast bullets in semiautos

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just wondering how many of yall are reloading cast bullets for semiauto guns. I have a 9mm Glock, two 40 cal S&W Shields and a Llama 45 I'm getting ready to load for. I already load for every rifle I own, but am just getting into the pistol stuff. My main concerns, along with some others I know that reload, have been leading of barrel (dirty), feed problems, etc. I have noticed that the cast bullets are easier to find and cheaper than jacketed bullets though, and thought about trying out some from JK Bullets. Thanks for any input, Clint

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I load cast in my 45acp and my 357 mag.
The 357 mag bullets are only .0005" larger than the barrel gas checked and wheel weights for bullet alloy, i
do not have any leading issues..But when i used soft lead i got leading at all velocities.

same goes for the 45acp..No feed issues at all ..but i only shoot maybe 75 rounds max each outing then the guns get cleaned.
I have been melting lead for over 30 years and my guns love the stuff.
I hear you will never wear out a barrel shooting lead..In fact my barrels are shiny clean when you get the lube and lead right

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was also curious if the hard cast bullets, like the ones J&K sell I assume, changes anything about the actual process of loading- different powder type/charge weight, case length, etc. Thanks again

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be careful with the Glock. The rifling is different. Check for leading often. Barrel leading has caused some kabooms in Glock I have read. That said I am shooting lead in my glock factory barrel. I have loaded JK bullets for three semi autos. A .40, a 10mm (same bullets), and a .45. You need to monitor leading in any handgun that you shoot lead bullets in, just be a little more creful with the Glock. JK bullets are great.

Latest posts

Top Bottom