Cast lead in the 6.5x55 Swede

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been wondering for awhile about the option of running cast lead in the Swede. After some digging across the interwebs I found that with the right load and care, lead will work fine. Lyman makes a mould that gets good reviews from some longtime Swede collectors and shooters so I'm going to try it out.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/mould-details-rifles.php?entryID=41

The overall idea is that factory ammo has gotten crazy expensive and even projectiles have gotten to that point. Anyone else tried much lead in rifle loadings?

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've used cast in just about all of my rifles.
But I'm not pushing them at extreme velocity either.
Hardcast with gas checks.
I've done it mostly because I'm a cheapo.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There used to be a guy on eekbay that sold a product called Gaschex where you could make your on gas checks out of pop cans.
I bought one for and odd ball caliber because I couldn't find them from any of the manufacturers.
Worked good, so a guy can save some $'s there also.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
you said the lee molds weren't any good but there is a set new on fleabay for a decent price. thinking about them, that $65 price tag on the lymans is to rich for my blood!

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For what it's worth guys I only use the Lee molds anymore. Mostly because I can't see paying the cost for the other brands. Just my experience but I can 2 or 3 Lee for the cost of the others. I don't shoot for extreme accuracy anymore and the Lee's deliver for me.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Soft lead exands and fills the barrel, this scrubs the barrel but does not leave any residue.
Hard lead does not expand and allows gases to leak past the bullet, melt it and makes it stick to the barrel.
A gas check is suposed to stop that gas leak but if it is too hard or soft it will not do it's job.

Nothing wrong with using lead just use it right and you will have success.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I should clarify that I don't have any issues with Lee moulds in general but the one they have for the 6.5 isn't well received by the Swede freaks of the interwebz. It's a 170gr which is on the heavy side of what normally runs in the rifle (~140gr).

Thanks for the input, guys. I've wandered around on castboolits a little over the years but haven't done much casting of my own yet.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a suggestion. Maybe a few of you swede fans could get Lee to make you a custom mold. I did one years ago for the 6.5 Arisako. Seemed like they charged $100-150 setup fee. I supplied the geometry.

Latest posts

Top Bottom