CCW and the Border Patrol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiemaggie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We recently returned from a trip to AZ. For a change of scenery, we drove south out of Albuquerque on I-25 to Las Cruces then picked up I-10 to Phoenix.

While in New Mexico we were stopped by a Border Patrol check point on both interstates. The question was "Are you American Citizens?" When we said "yes" the next statement was "Have a nice day." And back onto the highway we went.

We were both wearing our weapons, but the stop was so fast it didn't occur to me to do anything other than answer his question and leave when he waved us on.

So what are the rules for declaring your CCW at roadside check points set up by any agency, including the Border Patrol?

7point82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not an attorney and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night so I can't offer legal advice.

That said; I haven't heard of an agency specific law for notifying an officer that you are carrying. I follow the applicable state law regardless of agency.

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is only a guess as I am not an attorney either, I would say if he just asked you a question without asking for your I.D, then you don't have to present a ccw permit. If he had asked to see your I.D. then you should also show your ccw permit?

okiemaggie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the laugh guys. You always make my day. I figured that TMI would just bung up their streamlined process for convincing the public that they are on top of the illegal immigration problem.

These BP's have a pretty nice gig. Their "roadblocks" are permanent encampments about 25 mi outside of Las Cruces. They have a 6 lane wide, arched canopy that is about 150ft deep with barracks, offices and garages. It is amazing how cool and shady it is under that canopy! It was 108 in the sun with 6% humidity.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the laugh guys. You always make my day. I figured that TMI would just bung up their streamlined process for convincing the public that they are on top of the illegal immigration problem.

These BP's have a pretty nice gig. Their "roadblocks" are permanent encampments about 25 mi outside of Las Cruces. They have a 6 lane wide, arched canopy that is about 150ft deep with barracks, offices and garages. It is amazing how cool and shady it is under that canopy! It was 108 in the sun with 6% humidity.

I don't think we ever have 6% here. :anyone:

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It would depend on the law of the state that you are being stopped in. Some states are a little freer and have a little smarter legislators than Oklahoma, and don't require people with concealed weapons to tell cops about it when they are stopped.

Latest posts

Top Bottom