CFE223 in 308 Win.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWRhodd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, I'm testing CFE223 in my FNH Patrol Bolt Rifle in 308 Win. with a 24" barrel. In my testing, I'm using a 168 gr. Sierra TMK, Hornady brass, Federal Lg. Rifle Match primers. So here's my question, I guess. Using 47 grs. of powder and my COAL is 2.800, I am getting velocity between 3100-3200 with no signs of excessive pressure. No flattened primers, no ruptured cases and no problems with extraction.
The Hornady 9th edition lists 47.2 as max with a 168 gr. bullet with a velocity of 2700. I am just confused with this load testing.

Has any worked up or tested CFE223 in 308?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got some wicked fast velocities from my F1 chrony during a test session.
I had the chrony about 10 feet from the muzzle.. some powders it was fine with others it gave very high readings.
I stepped it out to 20 feet and all straightened out.

Wasn't the military 30-06 FPS readings obtained at 71 feet??
That sticks in my head.

I have stuck my F1 at 100 yards from the muzzle to get a speed.
Better trust your loads and your shooting..My friend thought I was nuts for doing that.

osupoke

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I once had a chrony insist that Federal American Eagle 158 grain .357 magnum ammo did 3000+ out of my 4" GP100. It was otherwise reliable, but it sure couldn't get a read on that load. Chronographs can be funny.

ridurall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm Swrhodd's father in law and we were shooting on my range. I've been reloading for over 40 years and we are using my Chrony Gamma Model Chronograph that I've used at 7 yards chronographing my 50 BMG without any strange velocities. I've got 4, .308s ranging from my Winchester model 70, Ruger, Armalite AR-10T with 24" barrel and Winfield AR-10 Hunter. The best I've gotten out of them was around 2900 FPS using Varget behind a 168 grain bullet. I must say I was very surprised at the 3200 FPS average with Swrhodd's 24 inch FN bolt gun. I would think that at 7 yards the powder shouldn't have caused velocity problems since I've never even seen that with my 50 BMG. I did check to make sure the folding Chrony was flat so the screens were as far apart as usual. I've been thinking about the new Labradar Chronograph but at over $500 and the delay that they've had on shipping since they were first supposed to start selling in Sept 2014 kind of had me thinking twice about it. Have any of you out there had any first hand experience with the Labradar? I guess the next thing to do is as one suggested to move the Chrony farther out. Deer season starts tomorrow so we won't be testing any more loads for a while.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never seen the high speeds either until 1 certain load i had.
Sometimes i would only have my F1 at 10 feet and never an issue except for blowing the tripod up off of it's feet with my 30-06

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd suspect your chronograph. A 168 gr bullet moving 3,200 with 308 just isn't attainable.

It's like 450 fps too fast.

^^^ This. The chrono is off. You are talking full house .300 Weatherby Magnum loads here.

Move the chrono out to 15 yards. There's no reason in the world to have it at 7 for rifle testing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom