Charter Arms Undercover .38 Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just picked up an older model Charter Arms Undercover .38 special 5 shot for my wife to carry. It's stainless? without a shrouded ejector. Does anyone know if it would be safe to fire +P ammo? It is extremely tight and obviously not been fired much. Just looking to pick up as much info as possible.
Thanks

Frank

rmwolf

Marksman
Reaction score
I also have an older 38 undercover. Per the factory, they recommend standard velocity. But, it can handle +P on a limited basis. However, I have never used +P. I choose a standard .38 round with a high performance bullet for carry. That oughta do!

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Charter Arms FAQ at their web site says:

"Q. Can I shoot +P in my .38 revolver?
A.Charter .38's are among the smallest revolvers in this caliber. Yes they can handle +P but we do not recommend it for the following reasons:

+P ammo requires a four-inch minimum barrel to burn the extra powder. Therefore, in a two-inch barrel the extra powder is burned after the bullet leaves the barrel creating more recoil and making it harder to come back to target.

We recommend a standard velocity load and practice with round nose lead rounds which are the least expensive. When you load for protection, use a jacketed or hollow point in the same grain you practice with."

That's for their new revolvers. Call the factory if you have doubts about your older gun.

jej

DestructoJr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Charter Arms FAQ at their web site says:

"Q. Can I shoot +P in my .38 revolver?
A.Charter .38's are among the smallest revolvers in this caliber. Yes they can handle +P but we do not recommend it for the following reasons:

+P ammo requires a four-inch minimum barrel to burn the extra powder. Therefore, in a two-inch barrel the extra powder is burned after the bullet leaves the barrel creating more recoil and making it harder to come back to target.

We recommend a standard velocity load and practice with round nose lead rounds which are the least expensive. When you load for protection, use a jacketed or hollow point in the same grain you practice with."

That's for their new revolvers. Call the factory if you have doubts about your older gun.

jej

I dont know what the difference is but Speer Gold Dots have the short barrel option in bullets for 2'' and under barrels

Latest posts

Top Bottom