Cheapest coated 158gr 38/357 bullet?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

panayoti

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For 38 spl light/sub sonic loads fine with cast bullets. If you want a cleaner load, less smoke and bore fowling coated bullets are your best bet with respect to cost

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What exactly happens with shooting a coated bullet through a sealed can?

Is it unburned powder residue or is it the coating flaking off?

I know for a fact powder coated bullets the coating does not flake off.
You can smash them with a hammer and the coating stays on.
I have smashed a store bought coated bullet and the coating flaked off like it was only paint from a spray can.

Maybe if that flaking is the issue you could order a sample pack from a manufacturer and give them a tap or smash or shoot them.

I cast my own bullets and powder coat them in a toaster oven and really enjoy them and they are the utmost inexpensive bullets to shoot.
I have been collecting lead for decades though so that helps.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?420790-Coated-bullets-through-a-suppressor
Red Hi-Tek coated bullet I believe is what I smashed and the coating flaked right off like paint.
I do not have a muzzle device like you so can't confirm anything first hand on a suppressor.

I have had muzzle brakes and flash hiders and removed all of them and shelved those.

They would allow carbon to build up on the crown of the barrel and my accuracy suffered so I removed them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom