Choosing a knife for a B.O.B or survival type situation.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a couple no-name M1 Carbine bayonets for $15 each from the CMP for exactly this purpose.

Tough as nails, and I won't care if they sit in a vehicle or BOB without being cared for, or if they get beat up when I use them rough.

img.photobucket.com_albums_v450_Hacker15E_ee264227.jpg

img.photobucket.com_albums_v450_Hacker15E_a6a71f65.jpg

OKWalker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd suggest you do more research before buying. There are alot of choices out there, and alot of philosophies/opinions.

Personally, I like the ESEE knives. I understand that Ontario Knife Co is similar and maybe a little better value, but ESEE seems to have better sheath systems.

vooduchikn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recommend the SOG SEAL Pup Elite. Good size, sharp, tough as hell.

I am still in Hawaii, but will be in OK soon. I was bow hunting a few weeks back with a buddy and shot a boar from our blind WAY to early in the hunt. He ran about 30 feet in to a rock/thicket mess and took up camp. I didn't want to wait on him to stop making racket, so I took a backhand swipe at his neck with said knife when he stuck his head up at me, opened him up clean to the bone all the way across the neck and he was pretty much dead (and most importantly, quiet) right there. Knife blade hit the lava rock on the follow through and it didn't scuff it. Still razor sharp.

I think after using this knife in many different situations over the past couple of years, that I can and would trust it as my only fixed blade.

*edit* I have the half serratted version.

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is what I have..tough as crap, great sheath w/ built in sharpener:

i54.photobucket.com_albums_g94_aekdb390_GB1626a.jpg

I have this exact knife...great knife, solid plus it attaches to either a belt, molle or leg or calf. The butt of the knife is designed to be used for hammering if needed.

I have place where I can get these for about $60.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not talking trash to anyone's knife preference, but I had a Gerber LMF-II (same design as several of their others including the Bear Grylls). It's made from very soft AUS-8 steel and loses it's edge quickly when using it for anything serious. The included ceramic sharpener will restore the edge somewhat, but not completely, so you have even less time with the edge than you did when it was actually sharp.

The serrations are ok (I'm not a fan of scallops, but these weren't terrible). I don't personally like combo-edge blades, even for survival, but serrations out-perform a plain-edge in some areas (see the below quote from MountainManJim over at Bladeforums - it's actually pretty informative). FYI, any pull-through design sharpener is not going to perform that well (avoid the carbide versions like the plague!).

Gerber's design is one that doesn't utilize a full-tang construction - meaning the blade stops in the top of the handle, and there isn't anything but their polymer/plastic between the blade-tang and the glass-breaker/fighting-pommel . Gerber touts several advantages to this design (electrical isolation, shock-dampner, etc.), but it's not ideal for doing things like batoning, driving into wood with a makeshift-hammer, or even heavy chopping.

There are more than a few tests (and real-life situations) documented out there that have resulted in broken handles (though to be fair, it actually held up pretty well to Nos' test over on knifetests.com). A broken handle on a knife without full-tang construction (especially one that's molded into a polymer handle) renders it almost useless.

The advantage of AUS8 is that it's pretty stainless - I don't recommend an ESEE knife (or other 1095) knife for a BOB that you're going to put away and forget about until Break-Out-Bag time get's here unless you're going to take some precautionary steps to prevent rust.

I've also ruined two Ka-Bar USMC knives with their tiny-tang and leather-handle construction. They're good for cutting, but don't try and baton with them - you'll bend the hilt or the tang in a hurry.

For survival, you want to think about what you'll actually do with it (and not just get the biggest Rambo knife out there like so many folks want to). Bigger is better for some things, but one knife won't do everything well. Honestly, a machete will do way more than a larger knife will.

Machetes are the swiss army knives of choppers. They don't excel at any one particular thing necessarily, but are unmatched in their versatility. For instance, an axe does much better than a machete for dedicated felling or splitting tasks...but how well does it clear brush or brambles? I have done just about everything with a machete that I could with an axe or knife (large OR small) and while the other tools might have been able to do individual tasks better than the machete, none of those tools could have performed ALL of the tasks that the machete did.

If you're dead-set on a knife over an axe or machete, then figure out what specific tasks you want to do with it (push-cutting, tip-digging, slicing, chopping, batoning, shaving, etc.) and choose a knife of a mid-range size to all of those tasks if you want to use one knife for the smaller jobs as well; if not, put a small slicer in the BOB and a larger chopper and you're good to go.

Get a good design - full-tang construction is designed to handle abuse. A thicker tip/spine is good for some things, but not so good for intricate work or slicing. Good quality handle materials are a must (most polymers/plastics will do fine), and make sure they're fastened to the tang in a way that won't come loose - otherwise you're duct-taping or para-cording in the field to protect your hand.

Get the right steel for what you need (won't start the religious steel-debate here). What I mean is if you can maintain a high-carbon steel blade, then get one. If you just won't do it (I'm lazy, so I don't have high carbon blades for everything I do), then get something stainless, but make sure it has decent edge-retention and is also within your ability to sharpen.

I like a plain drop-point or leaf-point shape, but there are plenty out there with positives/negatives.

Here's some info on blade-shape, handle-material, and grind:

http://www.spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/knifeanatomy.php

Here's the quote about serrations vs. plain-edge:

MountainManJim said:
With the recent discussion about the Spyderco serrated edge, I thought it would be useful for all of us experts to pull together a list of examples where the serrated edge and the plain edge excel and fall short. Surprisingly there is little information on this subject which I think would really benefit from having some hows, whys and concrete examples.

I hold the belief that both the SE and PE are simply two versions of man’s most useful tools. And that tools will, by their design, excel at specific tasks while falling short at other tasks.

So, I’ll start the discussion …

Serrated Edge - Preferred

Slicing: The SE’s domain is in slicing and it is here where this edge design really shines, especially for soft and fibrous materials. Held horizontally with the edge pointing down towards the material the blade can be drawn horizontally to slice through the material. The blade does not need to be tilted at an angle to the material, so one has great control on the depth of the cut. As the blade is drawn, the curved edges cut the material at numerous angles to cut quickly and efficiently. These features make the SE the preferred choice for:
1. Slicing soft material like bread, tomatoes, etc. This is because the slicing motion and force are not down, smashing the item, but across the material where it is not constrained.
2. Slicing rope. Again, because you can cut the rope without pushing it away, which is not an easy task with a rope that is not carrying any tension.
3. Sawing through cardboard and similar material. Not particularly neat, but fast.

Slippery Materials: The serration scallops tend to “grab” materials. I liken the scallops to numerous little hawkbills. This makes the SE preferred for slick materials like:
1. Wet materials
2. Plants
3. Wire ties
4. Poly rope
5. Plastic e.g. packaging, tapes
6. Fish. Apparently for quick initial processing of your fresh catch.

Edge Retention: The geometry of a SE has two features that extend the life of the sharpened edge. First, a significant increase is total length of the edge compared to a PE. The circumference of each scallop adds to the length of edge. This gives you more edge to use up. Second, the scallops move the cutting edge away from the edge of the blade. The material being cut must be drawn into the cutting edge. This protects the cutting edge from hard materials that might dull the edge. The SE sharpness is said to last 5 to 10 times longer than a PE.

Quick, Rough Cutting: With many materials the SE will leave a cut edge that is jagged, but the aggressive nature of the blade makes quick work of cutting chores. Hence, the SE is preferred to cutting where speed, not neatness counts.

Serrated Edge – Not Optimal

Fabric: The SE has a bit of a problem cutting fabrics especially cottons and other natural materials. The threads tend to get caught and the cutting can come to a halt as the edge essentially gets jammed. An experience cutting fabric with a SE is probably a primary reason why some avoid the SE, but that is unfortunate, since it just doesn’t do well with this material.

Nylon or Cotton Core Rope: As with fabric, the SE can catch on some ropes. Your results may vary.

Plain Edge - Preferred

Push Cutting: The PE wins when it comes to the push cut. Hence, the edge is preferred for:
1. Chopping. Items on the cutting board, trees, etc.
2. Batonning (sp?)
3. Whittling
4. Shaving
5. Scraping
6. Trimming materials
7. Cutting paper
8. Cutting thread and string. SE edges can get hung up and pull.

Slicing, Firm Materials: The PE is used for slicing firm materials where precise cuts are needed. Hence, it preferred for:
1. Filleting
2. Most food prep. Look at kitchen knife set, all PE blades except for the bread knife.
3. Skinning

Clean Cutting: The PE edge is preferred for making clean, neat, precise cuts.

Plain Edge – Not Optimal

Slicing Soft Materials: Most cuts with a PE are made with some slicing (motion perpendicular to the direction of the cut), but the primary force is in the direction of the cut i.e. you are pushing into the material. If the material is soft like a very ripe tomato, you can end up smashing the veggie. This is not to say that soft materials can not be cut with a PE. But, the edge must be very sharp to minimize the forces needed and the action must be primarily slicing. Often the blade can be angled such that the cut is not made perpendicular to the cutting board (for example), but parallel to the supporting surface.

Articles

http://www.ebladestore.com/plain_vs_serrated.shtml
http://www.missionknives.com/articles/Serrations.html

OK, now it’s your turn …

Jim

Good luck with your purchase no matter what you get!

Latest posts

Top Bottom