chopping a barrel and removing rear sight base

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I found a deal on a replacement barrel for my 870PM today. So now I have an extra barrel that I can take my time having cut down and refinished when I get a stamp for it.

question. Has anyone removed the rear rifle sight base on a shotgun barrel? If so how did you do it? I believe it is brazed on from the factory so I'm at a loss for methods to remove it other than grinding it down.

Thoughts, opinions, smart A$$ remarks?

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It's probobly silver soldered on. A hand held propane torch my or my not be hot enough. Don't know about MAPP gas. I like a Turbo Torch (acetylene/air) for most silver solder jobs. If you have a friend with and oxy/acetylene torch and a small ( 1, 0,or 00) gas welding tip you'll be in business. The less heat it takes the better.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Zip the base down to about 1/8" high with a Dremel cut-off wheel and MAPP it. Grab & twist with pliers. Shorter is better, as you get heat to the solder faster, and less overall heat to the barrel.

Shoot me a pm, if you want to give me a call sometime next week, I'm off for spring break.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was doing some more searching late last night. It looks like the rear sight base on the 14" rifle sighted barrels is in the same location. I may just leave the rear sight and have a new front base installed once I get the barrel cut down.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
paperwork is ready I just need to cut the check and send it off. Don't worry nothing is going to happen to this barrel before I get the stamp back.

I'm just trying to get the plan on the barrel a little clearer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom