CMP Experiance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It did a CMP buy of 5 M1 Carbines, I did not know what to expect when I was filling out all the paper work, just what my friends told me. I participated in a civilian shoot about 30 years ago for a Springfield M1 Garand but that was before I was a FFL so the paper work was just a little different.

So I ordered 2 Winchester Rack grade, when they came in I thought to my self what a mistake I made. As I looked at them and saw the rough walnut stocks that looked like someone had drug though the mud, with paint on them carvings all over them with what almost looked like kilroy was here, parts were loose, but they all were good metal except the but stock plate on one of them, the strap ring on another with grease all over the metal. I then thought some more and remembered from my wood working days what walnut looked like when it did not have oil on it.

So I cleaned the rifles up took them to my shoot tank loaded a few magazines and shot a few rounds with no problems, then I did magazines dumps with out a flaw. I did research on the weapons and found that the cartouches on the stocks all meant something. I am now in love with every one of them, spending long hours researching what every marking means.

The other 3 are Bavaria Police, Inland, General Motors Service Grade and are beautiful weapons, I like the first two the best, because they have character. Let me tell you one thing do not, I repeat do not, sand down, file, or redo those stocks, they will loose their value. Go to a gun show and buy a used one that someone has done that to, and replace yours if you want that kind of stock. You can put oil on it that is Okay. But you must keep the history alive.

I will be keeping all 5 of mine, and may even be trying to get more of these they are great weapons to pass on to my children and grandchildren. Thank you CMP, and all the people that have pointed me in the right direction. What a historical find. If you would like to discuss my experience in person, feel free to drop by the show room.

Also if you would like to buy one, all you have to do is go to the CMP site and follow the directions. Its not a big deal. And really it’s a lot of fun. Here is the URL

http://www.odcmp.com

Shoot safe, Mark

Mark's Firearms

www.marksfirearms.net

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good post...expectation management is definately key when ordering a CMP gun. Folks who are used to getting shiny new toys from the gun store might get a little buyers remorse when they open the FedEx box and see that greasy beat up piece of history inside....but that tends to fade rapidly after a little TLC and some range time.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ahhh, another case of carbineitis. I'm still needing a Standard Products a National Postal meter and an Irwin Pederson (dream on). If you think the cartouches are neat take your carbine apart and check the codes on all the parts, there were over 60 sub contractors making parts for the 11 prime contractors, i'm counting Saginaw twice because manufacture in 2 separate plants and identified as such. A good book is Bruce Canfields Complete Guide to the M1 Garand and the M1 carbine.
It's a disease I tell ya!

goodoleboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you ever get a chance to drive to one fo the CMP stores, you should do it. The biggest hurdle for some is marksmanship certification which they will waive under many circumstances.. But any rangemaster like at Happy hollow can sign off on it after seeing you shoot and demonstrate safe gun handling..

Latest posts

Top Bottom