CMP M1 Garand - What Grade?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am considering a CMP M1 Garand. This rifle will be a casual shooter. I would like to acquire it, keep it clean, and pass it on down to one of my sons someday. I would like a piece of history in pretty decent condition. I would prefer not to have to spend additional dollars after the initial investment.

I would appreciate suggestions on the grade as well as manufacturer.

Thanks!

....... Did I mention that I have been watching "Band of Brothers"?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get as high a grade as your budget will allow. It doesn't matter that it will be a casual shooter, you will never regret spending the extra money once it's yours. I'd opt for a service grade Springfield or field grade Winchester if it were me.

Bobrob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Compromise

get one of each

the FG or SG are widely varied in the amount of wear, and you are entering the lottery on how much. One of the SG I got had to have the op rod replaced after about 100 rds.(kept jumping the track)

The CMP specials are truly a work of art, and still cheaper than all of the other re-builders.

It depends on if you want a shooter or a piece of history.

Regards

Edit; my favorite is the one I built up from parts

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The post-WW2 M1's will, in general, be better-built than the wartime issues - the ones from Harrington & Richardson (H&R) will be your best bang for the buck (no pun intended). They're not as well-known as the Springfields and especially the Winchesters, nor are they nearly as rare as the International Harvesters. As others have said, try to get the best grade you can afford, and in the long run you won't regret it.

If you can, I'd strongly suggest going to one of the two CMP stores, especially the one in Anniston, Alabama (CMP South). If you visit the store on the morning of the first day they open each week (Wednesday, if I'm not mistaken), you can look through several dozen M1's on the racks before picking the one you like best. Take an erosion gauge with you if you can; sometimes you'll find a M1 with an under-graded barrel. From Tulsa, it's about a 11-hour drive, so you could crunch it into two days if you had to :thumb:

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What about the "Special" grades? Does that defeat the whole idea of owning a piece of history?

Considering that nearly all M1 Garands have been through the arsenal process (i.e., had some or all of their parts swapped around or replaced) at least once during their service lives, just about the only "history" you'd have would be the receiver's serial number, and if you're lucky, a matching or near-matching barrel date. The M1's that command a premium are the "correct" ones that contain all the parts appropriate for that particular serial number and manufacturer - but those M1's often are assembled in recent years from spare parts that were found at gun shows. I wouldn't worry too much about defeating the idea of owning a piece of history.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My son & I went out to the CMP south store this summer (& caught a ball game in Atlanta not relavent:oops3:) I knew nothing about M1's & the older gentalman behind the counter helped us out. All they had there were Rack grade, most stocks were rough. He used his check gauge to check muzzel ware found one between 1.5 & 2 I think. That is the one he advised us to take. Said it had a us gi stock #' did not match, barrel was a 53 can't remember the receiver yr springfield I think same year or very close, but the metal looks good. Picked up some ammo 4 cans, couple of hats etc was around 900 out the door. Now I saw those specials & it was all I could do not to grab & go but then the ammo would have to wait. There was 1 real nice tiger striped stock on the special rack. boy it was nice. They said if you were to shoot matches the special is the way to go.

BTW my son wasts to take it everytime we go to the range, ammo is being used up should have got more while I was there:cry11:

It sure is pleasent to shoot, and it does PING :blush:when you are out of ammo

JWE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Considering that nearly all M1 Garands have been through the arsenal process (i.e., had some or all of their parts swapped around or replaced) at least once during their service lives, just about the only "history" you'd have would be the receiver's serial number, and if you're lucky, a matching or near-matching barrel date. The M1's that command a premium are the "correct" ones that contain all the parts appropriate for that particular serial number and manufacturer - but those M1's often are assembled in recent years from spare parts that were found at gun shows. I wouldn't worry too much about defeating the idea of owning a piece of history.

M1s were not required to be produced in serial number sequence, often a barrel date variance of 2 to 3 months will be observed on rifles with sequential serial numbers. There are some variances of up to one year on SA rifles that were pulled off the assembly line for testing and special mods (M1C rifles). HRA did reassign S/N's of rifles scrapped during assembly; this will result in rifles appearing to have barrels mismatched to the reciever.

One thing to keep in mind about HRA rifles... They used LMR (it'll be marked LMR in place of HRA on the barrel followed by the drawing number then date) barrels on rifles from serial # 5,558,000 to the end of production. Just because it's a late production with an LMR barrel doesn't mean it may not be original....

Latest posts

Top Bottom