Colt ar15 a2 preban

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Quoting myself here as i edited while you were posting...

My bet is the original lower was damaged or out of spec at some point and was replaced with an A2 lower while retaining the remainder of the parts

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This.

Triangle handguards, pencil barrel, no brass deflector, no three round burst, original rear sights, bird cage flash suppressor (vs closed bottom compensator) = Not an A2.

Yer getting senile Lurker. LOL.

Oh no doubt on the senile part. Btw I did find a pic but its way crappy, I can see the fwd assist, I know from the pic, this was no 3 rd burst, but the rest of the details are lost to senility lol. But I do remember the moment the pic was taken.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Very well could have been. I wasnt into the details as much back then. But gawd I loved shooting and the "games" we played at the time. I swear I shot millions of rounds.

One thing for certain, when we finally got the "new" round handgaurd heavy barrels, we bitched bout how heavy those things were. Seemed like we were lugging around M14s or FALs.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Y'all are making me feel old. The M-16 I was issued didn't even have a forward assist.

My whole time in service I never needed to use it other than training.....thank the Lord.

I'd say I might be older than you, but it may be that the reason I only had M-14's was because I wasn't in a combat arm. Outside of training in Basic in Jan-Mar 1966, the only rifles I handled were more M-14's in two different training classes on small bases without a need for an M-16. I might have had a better appreciation of the M-16's had I ever had the opportunity to shoot and carry the thing. Dang, those M-14's were heavy. But, I'd love to have one now.

On second thought, I'd rather have the camera lens instead of an M-14. It would get more use.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Those M14s are heavy. Even todays M4s are heafty compared to original M16s.

My dad once compared fighting in VN to fighting in Gulf. Said in VN he carried a radio, M16 and wore fatigues to battle in 120 degree heat, in Gulf he had to wear 300lbs of gear and carried a radio and wore fatigues to battle in 120 degree heat. Said he wants to find a war he can wears shorts and just call in from a AC room.

He retired in '08 I think. After a split in service and 27 years.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Y'all are making me feel old. The M-16 I was issued didn't even have a forward assist.

That's because you were a zoomie like me. Most AF contract M-16s had no forward assist until we started the A2 conversions. Then we ended up with Franken-rifles...A2 uppers on 60's era early contract lowers LOL.

I was still lugging around a no-assist, no fence AR-15 roll marked Colt in 2003!

Latest posts

Top Bottom