computer game installation problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dru

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an image of an old "F-22 lightning 2" cd (Its an old copy of the cd I used to have). I have been trying to install it and get it running on my computer using dosbox and have so far been semi-successful. For the image, I am mounting it using DAEMON tools lite and then I go ahead and install it. When I go and mount it using dosbox, the game will start and takes me to the menu, but acts as a multiplayer slave (meaning I can't start single player campaigns, etc.) :scratch:

I know from experience that this would happen when I would start the game without putting the physical CD in the drive.

anyone have some advice how I (hope i'm saying this right) can get the dosbox emulator to recognize that there is a virtual CD in the "drive" so that I can play single missions?

Thanks all

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
burn the disk to CDROM and then in DosBOX: `MOUNT D D:\ -t cdrom`

it's looking for the cdrom specific crap and thinks you haven't inserted the disc.

ETA: Actually you don't need to burn it

In DosBOX:
IMGMOUNT E C:\Images\MyImage.iso -t iso

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The copy protection scheme used by those old 90's games very often was a bad sector placed on the CD purposely. The load routines looked at a specific sector on a specific track to see if it was good or bad. If it wasn't bad then no joy.

Virtual disk software usually was unable to successfully duplicate the bad sector.

IMO the game thinks you're running an illegal copy. If true you're just shite out of luck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom