• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Computer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
The last couple we've had were Lenovo and they've been fine and usually reasonably priced.

Dell is usually a decent deal, my last few years in IT their warranty service was hot or cold, if you happen to get a machine you don't have trouble with (which is a good probability) or happen to get a good outcome on a warranty service claim (which was probably a little better than 50/50 four years ago) you would probably be fine. I haven't had a Dell since I retired, so they may have improved on cust. ser.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
built mine with an Asus board and dual SD drives running a version of Linux. login to boot 4 seconds and I am surfing. No viruses and still running strong after 4-5yrs

Last edited:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Not much information there... I'm gonna ASSUME he isn't looking for something high end or performance oriented, just solely based on the fact he WAS getting by with a 10 y/o HP.

However, if I'm wrong, I have an absolute monster PC I built a few months back with top of the line stuff. Will play any and every video game title out there on maximized settings. If he's interested. But it's not cheap, I wouldn't let it go for less than $4.5k.

Good luck otherwise.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
80   0   0
The last couple we've had were Lenovo and they've been fine and usually reasonably priced.

Dell is usually a decent deal, my last few years in IT their warranty service was hot or cold, if you happen to get a machine you don't have trouble with (which is a good probability) or happen to get a good outcome on a warranty service claim (which was probably a little better than 50/50 four years ago) you would probably be fine. I haven't had a Dell since I retired, so they may have improved on cust. ser.

Having worked for and now in a role where I have to occasionally call Dell support I can say their support is average at best.

Last edited:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Having worked for and now in a role where I have to occasionally call Dell support I can say their support is average at best.
Before I retired, we ran almost exclusively Dell. I always paid for their IT Pro Support on the stuff I directly supported (primarily servers and higher-end computers), which jumped you past the script readers and started you talking with the folks who actually knew the systems they supported. Those guys were pretty dang good, but I couldn't tell you about the entry level folks.

JR777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Mine is a five year old Acer, and I think it was a really good value at the time. Can't remember the specs, but it was one of the more expensive ones with Windows 10 professional. It's the first computer I've had with a solid state drive, which I would highly, highly recommend. I wouldn't even consider for a second going back to a disc at this point.

I would also recommend looking at all in ones. They weren't quite fast enough back then for what I needed, but that was five years ago, so I imagine they've come a really long ways. I would love to upgrade to one to get rid of the giant spaghetti monster under my desk.

JR777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
built mine with an Asus board and dual SD drives running a version of Linux. login to boot 4 seconds and I am surfing. No viruses and still running strong after 4-5yrs
I tried Mint and Ubuntu, but I could never get them to play nice with anything. I might consider running Linux inside Windows just for general web browsing. Matter of fact, it's just kind of laziness that keeps me from doing that now.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
For a basic desktop computer, I've had good luck with refurbished all-in-one Lenovos from tigerdirect.com. Not expensive, not a lot if intimidating parts, bigger screen than a laptop, looks like new even though they are several years old. They put an SSD in them instead of a hard disk and ship with Windows 10 Pro with no crapware.

Latest posts

Top Bottom