Conceal carry in DOT vehicle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROON

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did a search on here and a few on google but couldn't find the answer to my specific situation. For work I drive a DOT regulated vehicle. (F350 service truck) I do not have a CDL just the required medical card. My question is it legal to transport a concealed firearm in a truck with DOT numbers. Also is it ok to cross state lines transporting a concealed firearms in the same vehicle (mainly Texas state line) Oh and yes I do have a CHL. Thanks

Gone_fishn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would say you can't, I drove a truck for 10 years with a CDL. I think because your regulated by DOT they would throw you under the jail. I'm not positive on that but I would make sure before you do it.

ROON

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats what I was thinking. I've never carried in my work truck before but there is a few locations that I go to in Breckinridge, TX that have mountain lions. Last year I drove up to a location where one had drug a deer into the pump house and was munching on it. When I'm working by myself 30 miles from the nearest town it would be nice to have the peace of mind.

Gone_fishn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't been to Breckinridge in 20 years. Back then they talked about mountain lions, but I never seen one. I've always thought that if anyone should be able to carry a gun it was a truck driver.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My understanding, after dealing with this for a little bit in a past job, is that the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations don't address concealed carry of firearms at all.

It's not a government vehicle, it's a government regulated vehicle. There is a big difference between the two.

So in essence, you only have to deal with the same issues the rest of us have to deal with; state laws and employer restrictions.

DOT's position: Possession of Firearms in Commercial Motor Vehicles

Last edited:

ParkingLot

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a truck driver and I carry in my truck. I was pulled over recently for a random inspection and informed the trooper that I had my firearm and permit per state law and he just wanted to see my cc permit. The only regulation for commercial vehicles is when transporting firearms as part of your freight. You can't transport firearms and ammunition at the same time as part of your freight.

Latest posts

Top Bottom