Congrats to Phil Strader!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antichrome

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, will they through it out for the Open/ Production Nat's since they were the same stages?

Doesnt look like it. The desert can be a strange place.

Stage 1 was not in an actual bay, it was just stuck at the end of the range sorta pointing out into empty desert. If you watched, you'd see bullet impacts out in the desert from the other bays. The stage was set up kinda crooked and had a zig zag shooting area.

It didnt present any probs for us at open/prod nats (well, except for Matt Mink, who took a nasty spill flat on his face on that stage...he then stood up and finished, shot all A's and was 3 secs faster than me)

I wasnt there for Lim nats, so I dont know the specific reason they threw it out. I heard and read that the vague 180 caused disputes. The fault lines were not representative of the 180. I can see how it could be a problem.

Lets just say the stage design and set up was better last year.

DC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Doesnt look like it. The desert can be a strange place.

Stage 1 was not in an actual bay, it was just stuck at the end of the range sorta pointing out into empty desert. If you watched, you'd see bullet impacts out in the desert from the other bays. The stage was set up kinda crooked and had a zig zag shooting area.

It didnt present any probs for us at open/prod nats (well, except for Matt Mink, who took a nasty spill flat on his face on that stage...he then stood up and finished, shot all A's and was 3 secs faster than me)

I wasnt there for Lim nats, so I dont know the specific reason they threw it out. I heard and read that the vague 180 caused disputes. The fault lines were not representative of the 180. I can see how it could be a problem.

Lets just say the stage design and set up was better last year.

Wow!!!!! How were the range facilities?

gmshtr

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't know enough about the incident on Stage 1 to comment. The range was OK. The Sin City club has always been very dusty with a lot of frags and rocks flying around. I saw two back windows busted out of cars and a sunroof due to flying bullets/rocks.

I think Las Vegas is good for boosting the number of competitors in the match (because so many people love to go there), but the stages weren't the best I've seen. Granted, it's tough to put together stages that are challenging enough for the Open guys, and not too much for the Production shooters. But, there were a lot of issues that could've been solved with a bit more bulletproofing. The match staff did a great job, though. 7 full days of that weather is brutal for anyone. They should be applauded.

I've got a feeling it will be back in Vegas next year, but I hear that there's a new facility that's being built that may host the event...of course, that's just a rumor.

On another note, I've got two M&P certificates for sale. All you do is submit the form and the FFL of your choice to S&W, and they ship the new pistol free of charge. You can also upgrade the cert to an M&P 9 Pro for only $87 (which I highly recommend). $475 each

Thanks again for the kind words, and be sure to thank our local guys who worked their butts off to put another USPSA Nationals in the books. Just a few that come to mind:

David Hyden - Match Director
Jerry Quisenberry - RO (and MYYYYY BUDDYY!)
Bruce Bethell - RO
JJ Powell - CRO
David "Gunner" King - Mr. Fixit or Asst. RM, I'm not sure
Holly King - Registration & Stats
Joy Hyden - Stats Queen

They, along with all of the other volunteers, deserve our gratitude for not only this match, but all of their continued service to the sport.

Latest posts

Top Bottom