Considering a KelTec P3AT .380

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As others have stated, it is the epitome of a mouse gun and at first it was difficult to shoot accurately at a distance. The first time I shot it I think I put 1 of 6 rounds on the paper at 7 yards(and for that reason I didn't carry it until I'd become MUCH more accurate) I could not figure out what I was doing wrong, still don't know exactly. But if you've had to resort to defending yourself with that kind of weapon chances are your assailant is pretty close. And it's just like any other gun, with practice I got more comfortable and more accurate. I actually like shooting it now, not all day, but it's fun to plink with. It is ridiculously light and that's my favorite thing about it, even without a holster, it disappears in jeans and coat pockets, it doesn't even print in a pair of slacks. It really does enable you to carry ALL the time. I have heard of people that run with them, just put on a belt clip and tuck it IWB. My BIL has the LCP and I think it's a good little gun too.

chodrick

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have any experience with the Kel-Tec or the LCP but I picked up a Taurus TCP this past weekend. I believe Taurus was after a market share of the pocket gun. I've held the Kel-Tec and LCP and they felt almost exactly alike, the TCP is VERY similar but just 'felt' like a better gun to me. I had considered them all but the $279 I paid was only a few dollars more than the Kel-Tec and about $25 less than the Ruger. I got in at Academy and it was the last one at that store (NW Expressway) and only the second one I had seen for sale anywhere. It's not a particularly comfortable gun to shoot for me but I don't think it will see much range time. It is easy to carry and that was my main concern. Good luck with whatever you choose.

BallisticGuy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kel-tec has amazing Cust service far none. I Lost a piece to my p3at and I emailed them to see how much it would cost along with my address, and the part was in my mail box before they even replied back. Thumbs up for me great backup/pocket gun!

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have any experience with the Kel-Tec or the LCP but I picked up a Taurus TCP this past weekend. I believe Taurus was after a market share of the pocket gun. I've held the Kel-Tec and LCP and they felt almost exactly alike, the LCP is VERY similar but just 'felt' like a better gun to me. I had considered them all but the $279 I paid was only a few dollars more than the Kel-Tec and about $25 less than the Ruger. I got in at Academy and it was the last one at that store (NW Expressway) and only the second one I had seen for sale anywhere. It's not a particularly comfortable gun to shoot for me but I don't think it will see much range time. It is easy to carry and that was my main concern. Good luck with whatever you choose.

I have one of these too and after finding the right ammo it has been a great shooter. The trigger is better than the LCP or KTec... not that this is very important for this kind of gun, but it helps make it easier to practice with.

B

Jujen Kai

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry mine everywhere I CAN carry. It's small, light, and fits anywhere. I took some "ToolMagic" (designed for coating the handles of pliers, etc.) and used a small paintbrush to dope it on. After three coats, the grip had improved incredibly and felt recoil is down by about 10% or so.

From a shooting standpoint, the trigger pull is lengthy and heavy, as it is your only form of mechanical safety on the weapon. The P3AT also has no slide stop, and will not hold open after your last shot. It has a hard recoil due to the light weight of the pistol. In a life-or-death situation, I figure that's not a big deal, but in training it can be an issue.

As has been stated the sights are nothing to brag about. I painted mine in contrasting shades of neon green (rear) and neon orange (front). They help a little bit.

Hope that helps you!

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd love to see a pic of your grip work

I carry mine everywhere I CAN carry. It's small, light, and fits anywhere. I took some "ToolMagic" (designed for coating the handles of pliers, etc.) and used a small paintbrush to dope it on. After three coats, the grip had improved incredibly and felt recoil is down by about 10% or so.

From a shooting standpoint, the trigger pull is lengthy and heavy, as it is your only form of mechanical safety on the weapon. The P3AT also has no slide stop, and will not hold open after your last shot. It has a hard recoil due to the light weight of the pistol. In a life-or-death situation, I figure that's not a big deal, but in training it can be an issue.

As has been stated the sights are nothing to brag about. I painted mine in contrasting shades of neon green (rear) and neon orange (front). They help a little bit.

Hope that helps you!

Jujen Kai

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks pretty skanky. I didn't go for aesthetics. It almost looks like half-dried Elmer's glue.

My original adjustment was a half-dozen rubber bands wrapped around the butt...

If I can get a passable shot, though, I'll post it.

noslogto

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have carried my P3At now for about a year and really like it for what it is.

I am often in dress clothes and don't want to carry my heavier 9mm, so it works for me.

A couple of things to consider when shooting it...don't forget that the barrel is a lot thinner than most (helps keep the weight down), so it's probably best not to rapid fire it much.

Secondly, when I shoot it, I pull the trigger all the way to just before the break point, and then squeeze off the shot. It has a loooong trigger pull. This plus ear protection improved my group (if you can call it that) immensely!

Latest posts

Top Bottom