Considering a KelTec P3AT .380

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had a .32 and a .380 Kel-tec and both were flawless in reliability and I don't think you can find a better small gun for 250 bucks. I could get solid hits easily on sillouettes at 25 yards, which is amazing since the gun barely has any sights. My one request would be for KT to make the sights a little taller, but I'm glad it doesn't have a slide lock since that's just something else to go wrong or snag on something. The Ruger is a more refined version but costs a lot more so I would also look hard at the Ruger. The hard chrome option on the KT might be a good idea also, since the blueing is a bit thin and looks kinda cheap.

tm8634

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Iv Got A Keltec 9mm And I Think For The Money You Cant Go Wrong, I Dont Carry It Tho, But I Did Buy A Clip They Offer For It I Case I Ever Wanted Too,(iv Got Several Other Brands I Carry) The Only 380 Iv Got Is A Lcp So Sorry I Cant Tell You Anything About The P3at...

riper1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive owned a kel-tec P-11 and now a PF9 and have had zero problems,if you buy a kel-tec shoot 100 to 200 rds thru it plus 40 rds of whatever ammo you choose to carry with, im looking at the kel-tec 380 and the ruger LCP, LCP is better looking and the kel-tec is cheaper i will probably buy the kel-tec, I like that kel-tec is an american company and their service and lifetime warranty are great

tm8634

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive owned a kel-tec P-11 and now a PF9 and have had zero problems,if you buy a kel-tec shoot 100 to 200 rds thru it plus 40 rds of whatever ammo you choose to carry with, im looking at the kel-tec 380 and the ruger LCP, LCP is better looking and the kel-tec is cheaper i will probably buy the kel-tec, I like that kel-tec is an american company and their service and lifetime warranty are great

my lcp is a little more accurate than my keltec it maybe cause i have a better feel with it (lcp) in my hands, but your right its(lcp) a lot better looking...:hey3:

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one of these too and after finding the right ammo it has been a great shooter. The trigger is better than the LCP or KTec... not that this is very important for this kind of gun, but it helps make it easier to practice with.

B

I have an LCP which we know is virtually the same as the Kel-Tec.

Today I fired about 3 magazines through my father's new TCP. I am ready to trade up for several reasons:

1. The trigger was smoother, shorter, and lighter - but not too short or too light for a carry piece
  2. The trigger guard is angled/sloped out, and not back in towards your trigger finger. This allows more room for you if you are wearing gloves (I cannot fit a gloved finger in my LCP without working it in there, and I have small hands). This also prevents the trigger finger from getting slapped against the inside of the guard, which can cause it to go numb (happens to me occasionally)
  3. The reset is noticeably shorter on the TCP. About one our of every 20 shots with my LCP I will not release the trigger enough to reset it.
  4. The palm swell is a bit fuller on the TCP. Not much, but enough it makes it more comfortable IMHO
  5. It has a REAL slide lock and release, meaning it locks back on the last fired round of the magazine

I am happy with my LCP for what it is (carried often, shot infrequently), but the TCP really has refined some shortcoming that existed in other micro .380 pistols. I would find myself shooting it more at the range that my LCP if I owned one.

Also, the gun - like several new Taurus models - is made in the USA.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One more plus on the KT. Have had a P3AT for three years, with zero issues. Shoots well, hides well. There is a wallet-like holster available that fits both the KT and the LCP.

After practice I shoot a rapid fire six inch group at ten yards. Bought a cheepy laser sight for it that I never got adjusted properly. CB

OSU Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I am also considering the P3AT because I want something to put in my pocket if I'm not wearing jeans. The size and price are perfect, and I have heard great thinks about KT's customer service. I considered getting a J frame for pocket carry, but after handling one I still think it is too heavy if Im riding my bike or running.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kel-tec has amazing Cust service far none. I Lost a piece to my p3at and I emailed them to see how much it would cost along with my address, and the part was in my mail box before they even replied back. Thumbs up for me great backup/pocket gun!

This has been my experience with the company too. I carry one every day. I have found comfort is the key to carry. Enjoy yours.

Latest posts

Top Bottom