Controlled round feed or push feed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was at a Banner (Canadian) range a while back. Saw a shooter dropping rounds into the chamber of a pretty nice looking Mauser 98 and forcing the bolt closed over them. I suggested he might not want to do that and was told I was full of . . . well, you know.

I excused myself and moved on down the line.

Although this has been done to death, I haven't noticed any OKshooters threads on it.

Which do you prefer, conrtolled round feed, or push feed? And, why?

I have several of each. My .338-06 Savage 110 is push feed, but will feed upside down, and in every other position I have tried. I have one rifle (forget which right now) that is controlled round feed, but the manual says for one round, drop it in the chamber and close the bolt--I think it may be my Ruger 77 Mark II 30-06. I normally just load rounds in the mag and load from there on all of my bolt action guns. CB

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Its never been an issue with me. I pretty much do it the same way, load mag, close bolt. If I don't want to chamber a round, I just apply a little pressure to the top round in the mag with my finger, and close the bolt.

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Which do you prefer, conrtolled round feed, or push feed? And, why?

I actually don't care since I hardly ever shoot upside down. If I really want to shoot upside down, my single shots and revolvers, which is what I shoot the most, don't care.

My CZ 550 is controlled feed but the extractor is made, according to the manual, in such a way that no harm is done by closing the bolt on a round in the chamber.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm kind of a controlled feed guy, myself. A big extractor claw makes for pretty positive extraction, even though I try to set myself up where I don't need another round. I've replaced several extractors on 700's lately, the original being bent out of shape when install, a couple broken! I've seen Mauser extractors chip but not completely broken, same for Win. 70 (pre-64) and Montana Rifle Co. Controlled round extractors usually go bad when someone trys to "adjust" them. I do own some 'push' feeds and have had no problems. Could be the 700's that were broken were abused. They both have their plus and minus points. Both have been around for along time now, surviving the 'test of time'. Abuse either one (which I know you don't) and they will let you down.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I saw a Mauser 98 claw extractor break one time. There was an empty stuck in the chamber that wouldn't come out and the lip of the extractor broke trying to pull it out.

Sounds like an ammo or chamber problem. You can break anything with a big enough hammer! (read abuse - ever heard 'don't force it' when it comes to firearms?)

Latest posts

Top Bottom