Controlled round feed or push feed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have both and can appreciate both designs. The worst was a guy forcing the extractor over on his customized model 70 in 7mm STW. Made me cringe when he would take two or three tries to close the bolt each time, firing it like a single shot. But you couldn't tell him anything and it is his gun anyway.

Evan

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree that shooting upside down is unlikely to be necessary. If your position has been overrun by unfriendly critters, there may be some very active movement of a rifle while reloading.

Controlled feed provides insurance against against getting a round slung out during rapid movement of the weapon. Some Africa professional hunters like it for this, while others want you to be able to drop a round in and slam the bolt closed on it for a fast reload, especially in low capacity magnum calibers.

I have always thought it to be sort of a toss-up, but bolt action rifle shooters should at least know about it. CB

Latest posts

Top Bottom